start treatment

Options
mart62
mart62 Member Posts: 31 Member
edited August 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Getting ready to start radiation and chemo . Got fitted for the mask yesterday. My how things have changed since 2014. Back then they did not cover your face but left eyes ,nose and mouth out. I am worried I will have a panic attack. My neice says that is what Zanex is for. I will talk to the Dr.about it. I thought I read somewhere on this site that some of you had done that. Any other tips would be helpful!

Comments

• LuvnTN
    LuvnTN Member Posts: 75 Member
    Options

For me, the fitting day was the hardest day to deal with.. in terms of anxiety. I wanted to have them stop several times during the fitting because I was starting to panic. I felt like I couldn't get a deep breath... then my nose and eyelids started itching. The only thing that kept me in there was the knowledge that we would have to start all over again. For the actual treatments, I developed a routine of breathing/praying/relaxing where I was able to stay strapped to the table in the mask with little or no feeling of panic. One time, the machine went down for maintenance during the session. They asked me if I wanted to get up off the table and walk around until it was ready to go. I was in my zone... and chose to just stay put. That day, I was laying there for a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes. Every day after the fitting and the down-for-maintenance day seemed like no big deal.

• BertChen
    BertChen Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Talk to your doctor about lorazepam or similar. I had a real small dose, taken like an hour before they strapped me down, and I was able to sort of relax for the 15 minutes of being trapped. After a while, I was able to do the treatment without the pill... I am a little claustrophobic though 🤷‍♂️

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    edited August 2023 #4
    Options

Hello, Mart, so radiation will start soon if you got your mask. I had radiation in 2013 and some also in 2020 and both times at the cancer facility I went to they did not cut out openings for the eyes, nose, or mouth. You just had a full mask on. It did not bother me once I got going. But I agree it can seem confining. Which, it is for a reason, to hold you in one position, steady, so they can give you the most accurate and best treatment possible. When you are first introduced to the mask it is certainly something to take in and some people have a real issue with it. But since you had this experience before you should be able to apply past experience to deal with it. I think I would take an Ativan about 15-20 minutes before each treatment to start but I may have quit them once I was used to the procedure I can't remember. I would say to not think about it right now, if you let your mind wander to it and think about it, and concentrate on it you will create an anxiety around it. Just think of the mask as an add-on for this particular treatment as a help to you and to help the techs give you the best treatment possible to eradicate the cancer. Take the Xanex or whatever they offer if it will help, that is good and just keep your mind on the eradication of the cancer and just let your mind wander during the treatment, think of what you are going to do when you get home, maybe a chores list, think of happy memories during treatment. Trust in the Lord, trust in God. God said he would be with us always, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." I personally found this is a good time to pray and think of songs and Bible verses and before you know it whatever you do with your mind during this time to comfort and get you through each treatment with your mind busy on other things it will be over before you know it. Have the techs play your favorite music. They usually have access to almost anything and usually, you can bring your own as long as it is in a format they can play. Ask them if they can cut holes where you want them, maybe you already did. I did not mind not having openings in the mask. I could breathe well and when I opened my eyes I could still see even though there is not much to see during treatment. It is like looking through a screen door with your face right up against it. Also, I tried to go in each day with a get-it-done attitude, get this one in and keep moving forward to a cancer-free future.

Here is a video that is listed in the Superthread, pretty neat to watch and check the guy out, has a big smile on his face, and don't forget the techs are right there for you if you have any issues they will be in very quickly and they are monitoring you closely. You have nothing to fear. I always like this video because it shows the complete accuracy and alignment of treatment delivered consistently and accurately every time.

So 118 days since I have completed radiation therapy, an MRI and a PET scan and no signs of recurring cancer. I still have a long way to go before I am in the clear for sure but early signs look promising. Funny with all that I have been through I feel happier and healthier than I have in a very long time, so for me I would say that cancer has been as much of a gift as a curse. Thank you to everyone for all of their love and support. I can't tell you all how much it means to have so many people who care about you and every little note and like helped! So being in the film biz i thought it appropriate to documents some of my experience so here is a fun little Go Pro video I made throughout my six weeks of daily radiation treatments. I am happy that the incredible staff at The University of Pennsylvania let me mount my cameras all over their machines. I am pretty sure some of these shots are a first! It almost makes it look fun and I think the song is more than appropriate, props to Imagine Dragons! Love you all!!

I hope you find something here to help.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless-Russ

• mart62
    Options

Thanks Russ you are a blessing 👍

• mart62
    Options

got a call from Hospital yesterday, they have to make a different mask. The one they made is not for proton rad and cannot be used. Waiting to hear when i go back again

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Well, a little glitch, not a big deal, I guess someone read the computer medical orders wrong. They will probably get you back in pretty quickly. Forward we go.

Take care, God Bless-Russ