How do I do this?

Options
dmatt88
dmatt88 Member Posts: 1 *
edited October 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi, my mother was just diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer which is apparently rare and aggressive. She is 51 years old and already deals with Lupus. She went to her gynecologist in March with a small lump in her left breast, which the doctor dismissed as an infection without doing any kind of actual test (mammogram/ultrasound/etc.), just looked at it, touched it, said that “it moves” and isn’t cancer. Then sent my mother home with antibiotics. Suddenly it’s August and the lump is more pronounced, with all the signs of cancer — which, it is. A very aggressive form, apparently. Based on an ER mammogram and ultrasound, she has two 5 mm masses in her left breast. She has to apply for emergency insurance, her biopsy was postponed until Thursday because she doesn’t currently have any. Thanks, America. She worked for the same company for nearly 20 years only to be fired after getting Lupus, got approved for disability but didn’t even make it 24 months to get insurance before being diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m so confused and angry. I can’t imagine losing my mom. I’m an only child and we’re very close. I want to be here for her in every way I can, but I’m also terrified. The worst part, my mom is an angel. She’s genuinely a good person and doesn’t deserve this, not that anyone does. I know that was a lot. If you read all this, thanks. I think I’m just screaming into the void.

Comments

• GodHelpmymomplease
    GodHelpmymomplease Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi dmatt88,

I am truly sorry for what you and your mom are going through. I want to share that you are not alone. My mom received her dx last week. I have all the feelings possible. I too feel like im screaming into the void. We are so close to my mom and I expected her to have diabetic complications, but never this. Your mom is younger than mine by a decade. I can’t imagine going through it as an only child, but im glad you found this support group. Have you looked into counseling? Im trying to get established with that.

i believe its illegal to fire someone d/t a disability. How in the world did her job even get the balls to do that. I swear it matters not if the company is big or small I realized that we are nothing but a number.

Does she have a Social worker on her case? So based on her ER mammo and ultrasound they diagnosed her with the inflammatory cancer? I thought they needed a biopsy first to determine that but maybe its more to confirm it? Im still navigating this steps on cancer so I may sound ignorant. Im not sure what is recommended but im hoping its localized for her. My mom has the option (until all the genetic testing and HR2 results come in) for lumpectomy with radiation for a month vs unilateral mastectomy. We will know more and what route to take and course of treatment with prognosis once she see’s her oncologist face to face (we had an initial consult by phone) in about 2wks.

her biopsy is tomorrow? Results are in fairly quickly (my moms took approximately 5days) so im hopeful once those come in the oncologist can move forward with a plan for her.

your are not alone. I think this is a great place to vent and get hope and support. Please keep us updated.

• Austriangirl
    Austriangirl Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Sorry to hear your situation.

There is a program in AZ for breast cancer treatment (BCCCTP) that might cover treatment cost for 2 years for those who do not have insurance. Not sure if you already found a solution. Not sure in which state your mom lives, investigate if they have similar programs. The navigator nurse in the hospital should be able to direct you.

I am 2 years post op after diagnosis with IBC Stage3C and went through all the treatments and am still here and learning how to get back to healthy. There is hope even for this aggressive and rare cancer.

All the best to you and your mom