lung cancer now in remission

Options
worstoftimes
worstoftimes Member Posts: 2 Member

after failing immunotherapy, then 2 kinds of chemo, switching oncologists, and finally having undergone imrt radiation, my stage IIIb non-small cell squamous lung cancer is (very surprisingly) in remission. even the current oncologist said it was atypical. i’m not even happy about it because now i’m living in poverty with undertreated bad back pain which has long been a problem. there’s not much help out there. is there anyone else with similar experience, or another support group for people who were getting ready to die, getting rid of things, made a will, and then surprisingly are in remission? or in remission until the next ct scan lol. whatever happens, i won’t be getting treatment again.

i’m not religious btw.

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Options

When diagnosed I took care of the dying stuff right away. I did my Do Not Resuscitate and put it on file with my hospital and my doctors all know.

I established a medical durable power of attorney and my family all know what I will and will not accept as life prolonging treatment and they, not the doctors , will make decisions about my treatment if I am unable to communicate.

I also have a financial durable power of attorney so the person I designate can make or accept payments on my behalf instead of a conservator appointed by the state.

The powers of attorney must state that they are durable or the are not in effect if you lose consciousness.

Each of us must make our own decision about discontinuing treatment. This was not a decision you made lightly or on the spur of the moment. I hope you find relief soon. Meanwhile, ask for an appointment with a palliative care doctor to see if they can manage some of the pain.

• claudiaferr
    claudiaferr Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi there, I want to congratulate you in being in remission! If it’s okay to ask, which immunotherapy and cancer treatment helped? My mother has non small cell squamous cell carcinoma and carboplatin & paclitaxel did not work for her.

• worstoftimes
    worstoftimes Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi, I was on Keytruda (pembrolizumab) immunotherapy, which did work but unfortunately caused pneumonitis so i had to stop it. I was then put on Abraxane (nab-paclitaxel) which caused nerve damage, and was then put on gemfibrozil.

I hope your mother can find something that works for her!

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Options

From the NCCN Website immunotherapy treatment for squamous cell:

Squamous cell carcinoma and PD-L1 50% or higher:

Atezolizumab alone

Cemiplimab alone

Pembrolizumab alone

Combination of nivolumab and ipilimumab

Nivolumab and ipilimumab plus platinum-based chemotherapy

Combination of pembrolizumab, carboplatin, and paclitaxel or nab-paclitaxel

Squamous cell carcinoma and PD-L1 1% to 49%:

A combination of pembrolizumab, carboplatin, and paclitaxel or nab-paclitaxel should be recommended when it is possible.

For people who cannot receive immunotherapy, a combination of 2 chemotherapy drugs is recommended.

Cemiplimab plus chemotherapy

Durvalumab and tremelimumab plus platinum-based chemotherapy

For people who cannot receive pembrolizumab plus platinum chemotherapy, pembrolizumab alone may be recommended

Squamous cell carcinoma and PD-L1 less than 1%:

A combination of pembrolizumab, carboplatin, and paclitaxel or nab-paclitaxel should be recommended when it is possible.

In people who cannot receive immunotherapy, a combination of 2 chemotherapy drugs is recommended.

Cemiplimab plus chemotherapy

Durvalumab and tremelimumab plus platinum-based chemotherapy