TEP

Options

Hi, my name is Roger. I have had 2 battles with throat cancer, The first in 2014 and I had 35 radiation and 2 chemo treatments. The cancer returned last year and I had a total laryngectomy on Nov.22,2022.Things have went very well but I get frustrated communicating. I use an electrolarynx and a small white board primarily. I am scheduled to have puncture surgery and a voice prosthesis inserted ( TEP ) on my birthday Sept. 1. I will be 63. I would appreciate any advice from those that have had this done. My surgeon talked about it but seemed to dwell on the possible problems such as leakage. This has made me nervous about the procedure but I think it will be worth it.Please give me any and all feedback. Thanks and God bless us all.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello Roger and I am sorry you have been through so much.

Welcome to the H&N forum.

You may want to check out the Superthread at the top of the page there is a lot of info in there and you may find something in there.

There was a fellow on here previously that did a lot for people in your situation and he was a laryngectomee also but is not with us anymore. His name was Bill Cross and he had a Utube page you can check out.

I can also direct you to a support group that may help you it is called WebWhispers that Bill referenced to me.

About Us

WebWhispers was started in 1996 for those who had questions about larynx cancer treatments, surgery, recovery, and what life is like after laryngectomy surgery. We are now the largest support group for individual laryngectomee survivors of larynx and other throat cancers. We offer advice from those who have been there and education at the time it is needed. Our membership is composed of patients, caregivers, medical professionals and suppliers. Come join us in order to use our full facilities. It’s free to join and no dues to pay.

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

Russ