The Other Space - An Animated Short Film for Pediatric Cancer Patients

Options
pointblake
pointblake Member Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2023 in Childhood Cancers #1

Hello!

I was diagnosed with stage 4 osteosarcoma in 2012. My tumor was in my tibia and had already spread to my lungs at the time I got diagnosed. Now as of July 16th I have been in remission for 10 years!

Just before I was diagnosed, I toured CalArts for the first time as I was aspiring to go into the animation industry. While in the hospital drawing, folding origami, and animating often served as therapeutic outlet for me. My time in the hospital allowed me to work on my portfolio and I was able to get into art school after taking a year off after graduating from high school.

My experience through treatment inspired me to make a film for pediatric cancer patients. Often I was discouraged by the depiction of kids battling cancer in media while I was in the hospital. While I appreciate how these depictions help raise funds for research, I wanted to make something that could help inspire kids to fight well.

The result was my CalArts thesis film, The Other Space. The film revolves around a young boy named Otis, who uses his imagination to visualize and understand his experience battling cancer. My goal with the film is to inspire kids to stay positive during treatment. I believe that The Other Space will help entertain kids in the hospital as well as show them how to have a good attitude in the midst of treatment. Here's a link to my website if you want to see a trailer for the film: http://www.pointblake.com/animation#/tos/

If you or a loved one you know is interested in seeing the film, please contact me through my website. I'd be more than happy to share a screener with anyone battling cancer.

Originally, the film was meant to be 7 minutes long. In the interest of time, I had to cut out three and a half minutes out of the middle in order to finish the film for school. This was the correct decision at the time, and was necessary to finish it. However, looking back on it I feel like I cut the emotional core out of the film. Now I am endeavoring to add those scenes back.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any thoughts or questions.

I'll be sure to share more about the project on this forum once the film is complete so that more pediatric patients can have access to it as a resource.

Comments

• Gustavus
    Gustavus Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

That's awesome, I think the film will be good to all children even those who aren't sick