radiation and working

Options
Golosa
Golosa Member Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello, I'm recently diagnosed with breast cancer, had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed, will begin radiation later this month for 6 weeks followed by hormone therapy. My question, and concern, is regarding working while having radiation. I teach elementary school and my radiation therapy coincides with setting up my classroom and the beginning of the school year with students. I have received differing opinions and advice regarding working and radiation. I would appreciate any perspectives from those who have already gone through it.

Thank you!

Comments

• dreamwalker
    dreamwalker Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi Golosa! I worked during my 9 weeks of radiation. It is possible to manage with the proper preparation. The exhaustion was something they described as a side effect , however I was not prepared for it. It will be a level of whole body and mind tiredness that you haven't experienced before. It isn't a tired where you just need a few hours of extra sleep but a constant draining feeling. That being said, radiation is a different experience for each person. Tell everybody you work closely with that you are going to be receiving radiation. The honesty will enable you all to put together a flexible game plan. Someone to step in if you feel overwhelmed or forgetful. Lists of your tasks for the day even if you are normally not forgetful because you may experience it. This is just your work but also think of your home too. Somebody to help with laundry, cooking and cleaning if you feel too tired. I found using time on the weekend to prep for weekday meals super helpful. Just prepare for the side effects they tell you about and I'm positive you can do this! Hopefully others here will have helpful suggestions to help you work during this. I just found exhaustion was my problem to overcome and I did it. Wishing you well!

• Golosa
    Golosa Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your advice! All of it is extremely helpful!