Tumor found on pelvic bone

Options
Toddgaylor
Toddgaylor Member Posts: 2 Member
edited January 15 in Bone Cancers #1

My girlfriend had an MRI two weeks ago and a 3 centimeter tumor was found in her pelvic bone. The doctor told her he could not think of it being anything other than cancer. And he ordered another MRI which she had two days ago. We are still waiting for results. The wait is killing us. Why would he want another MRI before doing a biopsy? She said it was dark and jagged shaped. Is that any indication it is malignant? No lump has formed yet.

Comments

• gourmetkickz
    gourmetkickz Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Not all MRI's are created equal. The first MRI was likely without contrast dye. The 2nd MRI will almost certainly be ordered with contrast dye to produce a more robust and detailed image of the tumor and surrounding structures. This image will be valuable in creating a plan for removal/biopsy.

I don't think ALL tumors need biopsy for a malignant determination. Signal intensity of a structure is often enough for a skilled radiologist to determine if a mass is benign or malignant.

TBH the location of the mass is the Hallmark of Ewing's Sarcoma. A type of bone cancer, which if caught early and without spread is highly curable.

I wish you and your loved one the best. Brace her for a fight and please....be there for her.

• Toddgaylor
    Toddgaylor Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. They did a biopsy and it was not cancer, thank God.