Burn Relief?

Options
Duuuukee
Duuuukee Member Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello, my father has completed 19 of 33 rad treatments. He started getting some burns earlier this week that have progressively gotten worse. The doctor prescribed a burn cream but, unfortunately, that made things worse likely due to a sulfa allergy. He was prescribed another cream to try and will be doing some Domeboro soaks. In addition, he has been regularly using Aquaphor since the beginning. Any other recommendations? Anyone else navigate radiation burns with a sulfa allergy? Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• christos01
    christos01 Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

HI Duuuukee!

sorry to hear about your Father, burns can be brutal and the treatment. Not sure if this is strong enough but I used Calendula cream. Check the ingredients please, It helped with my treatment and I slathered the Aquaphor on. It was messy but I didn’t care. God bless Wishing your dad a speedy recovery.

• Swoosh13
    Swoosh13 Member Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Duuuukee, my Hubbie will be starting his rad soon and I’ve been keeping tons of notes from here and tips from other patients. I thought someone used Aquaphor with Lidocaine in it (a prescription I believe). Can’t hurt to ask his dr.

• MojoMomma
    MojoMomma Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Im so sorry about your dad and the struggles.

I had radiation and used Bactine spray immediately after treatment. It kept it clean and numbed the area. When I got home later I put bee magic salve on by an apothecary shop online, (for skin irritations, burns, I had 36 treatments and very little signs of burning when I finished.

• Duuuukee
    Duuuukee Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

christos01, Swoosh13, and MojoMomma,

Thanks so much for the tips!

• MojoMomma
    MojoMomma Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Duuuukee,

Im so sorry about your dad and the struggles.

I had radiation and used bactine spray immediately after treatment. When I got home later I put bee magic salve. by an apothecary shop online, (for skin irritations, burns, butes, stings, )It kept it clean and numbed the area. I had 36 treatments and very little signs of burning when I finished.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options

Duuuukee,

this suggestion is wayyyyy to late to help, but zi gad excellent results using .Silver Sulfadiazine Cream

CivilMatt

• Mavish
    Mavish Member Posts: 84 Member
    Options

In my vancer cetre, the asked as not to use any cream before the treatment. I used organic coconut oil after the treatment each day.I got some burns tward tword the end.

Wound care consisted of aplying steryle wet dresing saturated with isotonic saline ( they are ready to use in individual sterile foil packages) for 4-5 times for 15 to 20 minutes. Then applied a a very thick (the consistency was like petroleum jelly) unfortunately I dont remember the name of the product( And cover it with a dry sterile gause onenes not sticking on the wound.

I found nurses in the radiation cliniic very knowlegable and helpful with woundcare.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Mavish you must have gone through a difficult treatment as I see you say you needed wound care. Were the wounds because of radiation and were they in your neck area, they must have been rather severe.

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

Russ

• Mavish
    Mavish Member Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Hi Russ,

Yes, I had rigth tonsil SCC with two lymph nodes on my neck (2016). Wounds were due to radion therapy and on my neck.

May God Bless and take care of you, too