What's is like after kidney removal

Options
kernal
kernal Member Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

Just told my left kidney has to come out due to a tumor. The only symptoms I've had is the usual blood in urine, fatigue, weight loss and slight back sensation. The actual description is: Left upper tract TCC. Discussed robot left neph-U. Recommend intravesical gemcitabine. The urologist didn't indicate that there was any spreading but he did say that they would put chemo in the bladder while they were taking out the kidney to be sure. Also I would have a bag for a few days.

Has anyone been through this and could tell me what recovery will be like so I can be somewhat prepared? Thanks

Comments

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Hi Kernal,

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like what you're describing is a combo urothelial/kidney cancer? If you haven't already, you might want to try asking in the Uterine Cancer forum about the chemo in the bladder and the bag.

As for recovery, everyone's healing process is different - depending on your age, overall health, and luck. But if you want to read about my radical robotic neph, it's in detail here- https://csn.cancer.org/node/318416

You've got this - you're going to do great!

• scabledog
    scabledog Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

In my case I just had my left kidney out due to cancer... Nothing below that in the tract or the bladder. Short term there will be pain so take things slow and let your body tell you the recovery speed. For me it was just kidney removal so not sure what the bladder complexities will be like, but I can say long term for the kidney my right kidney does all of the work now and my life is pretty much normal. If I forgot I had kidney surgery tomorrow I would never know it was even removed. Most people I talk to tell me the same thing. Hopefully upon recovery you simply go back to normal, but as I said I did not have any complications in my bladder so that I cannot provide any input on.

• Quietlady7
    Quietlady7 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Had the left kidney removed in February 2020 with renal carcinoma. Really don't notice any difference for the most part now. So far, the cancer hasn't returned. One thing you will notice is with only one kidney your gfr will decrease, and it is officially considered a chronic kidney disease, so you should follow up with six-month check-ups with a nephrologist just to be on the safe side. If I understand correctly, there usually isn't any ongoing problems unless you have high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Youch. I just realized I advised "uterine" above instead of "bladder".

Everyone feel free to make fun of me... :)