Fasting and Cancer.. check it out

Options
LuvnTN
LuvnTN Member Posts: 75 Member
edited August 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I have gotten a few questions about a link I posted that covered research showing fasting 24 hrs prior to and after chemo with platinum-based chemos (i.e. Cisplatin, etc.) has some positive effects. Here is another link to an interesting take on fasting and cancer... turns out, this is a two-part series on YouTube that I would recommend to everyone. If it leads to a deeper dive into the subject, it becomes evident that there is a lot of research conducted over the years to support this belief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CxMsqpzhT4

Comments

• LuvnTN
    Options

Also, what I find very interesting when viewing these videos is to read the comments posted under the videos. A lot of times there are people who share very detailed experiences they have had with fasting and cancer.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Hello,

I did not view the videos and only responding to the title. Being able to consume sufficient liquids and food is extremely common. Nearly every patient under chemo/rad treatment loses weight and often makes a trip or two for a IV saline boost. My own view is work hard trying to eat as much as you can of anything and drink as much fluilds as you possibly can. I can never recollect someone commenting on needing go on a diet while under treatment.

• LuvnTN
    Options

Can you recollect anyone following this fasting protocol while undergoing chemo/radiation? If you watch the video, he hints at why the human body might react the way it does when confronted with a disease like cancer. To use your point.. "nearly every patient under chemo/rad treatment loses weight"... why is that? If the inability to eat sufficient calories is due to side-effects from the chemo (nausea, sickness, etc.), and fasting can minimize those side-effects, the idea is that with fewer of the chemo complications, people should feel better... and should want to eat more. Without doing some research into this approach, and why is works the way it works, I can totally understand your comment. It is a short video. You responded to the title only... but the title included "check it out". I stand by that recommendation to, at the very least, watch the video.. then share an opinion on what is presented in the video.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Luvn, I have listened to the podcasts and the theory makes sense. The old school concept has always been to eat lots and use a feeding tube if necessary to maintain your weight during treatment and your body uses and needs lots of calories to maintain weight, fight the cancer with your treatment, and to recover. This is pretty much established and I don't think it will easily be changed, these things take time. Many thousands have defeated their cancer using this approach.

I am also not sure if this concept is tested enough to say that it is the right approach for everyone in every case but certainly, it is an approach to consider.

But Dr. Gregor stated that people doing this didn't lose weight and if they did picked it back up very quickly between treatments. Also, it seems that blood counts were better with fasting. There are studies on this and the theory sounds very good and I would say anyone going into cancer treatment could consider this and see if it is right for them. They can also try it and if they are extremely hungry, don't feel good, or decide not to continue they can change and go with the standard method of care.

I believe you said you did not share with your care team that you were taking this approach but I think it would be better if people would share it with their care team if they go this route that way if there are any problems or situations come up your care team are fully aware of the path you are on so there is not lost time in reacting to it.

I am not necessarily endorsing this but I would say it is something to consider. After all in times past there are things done in certain ways and it does not change quickly.

Also, this may just be a different option from the standard of care in the future, we will see if this is getting more accepted or used as time goes on. As the saying goes, time will tell.

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

• LuvnTN
    Options

Hey Russ, actually, i did share it with both care teams.. the ENT/Oncologist team and the Proton team. Both teams had never heard anything about fasting during treatment... and both encouraged me to eat as much as I can through the whole process. I believe very much that more research is not going to happen.. because, nobody can make money by telling patients to not eat anything. If there is no money to be made from it, people aren't going to spend the $$ to do more research. There is plenty of information available already to, at least, consider it as an option. The same is true for red-light therapy for mucositis. Also, "fasting" is not a standard-of-care approach... so, cancer doctors don't deviate from their first-line, second-line guidance (I am sure the small writing in the malpractice insurance contract specifies something like that). Also, they are too busy to be checking out YouTube. What I found most interesting watching this video was his comments around why we lose our hunger when battling a disease like cancer. I remember a dog I used to have that came down with canine pneumonia. He just refused to eat. I really became worried when he refused bacon. He went and laid down in the dining room.. away from all of us, and stayed there alone for 4-5 days. Then, on the 5th day, he walked into the family room, said 'hi'.. and went right to his bowl and started eating. I realized that animals seem to know that when your body says it doesn't need food right now because something is wrong, they listen. We, however, get pumped up with IV nutrients and are told to eat. I am not saying getting a saline IV if you are feeling week is not recommended... for sure it is. Part of the theory around fasting is that if the body doesn't have to waste any energy and resources trying to digest a system full of food, it can focus all of its energy to battling the foreign invader that is creating issues in the system.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Luvntn, my mistake about you not sharing it with your care team I must have been thinking of someone else or another instance I have read. Anything you can do to defeat your cancer is what you want to do. Interesting story on your dog. I have a recent story of my wife and please "be aware I am not comparing my wife to a dog" but she recently was sick, felt sick and was nauseous, the taste and smell of food made her not want to eat, tired, had no energy and felt bad and she did pretty much the same thing felt bad, knew she felt bad, and just layed around, she ate very minimally and drank mostly water and after about 2 weeks she started slowly feeling better again. We still don't know what was wrong with her but thank God and by the Grace of God, she is better. Sometimes we get these minor illnesses where we feel bad but don't know exactly what is going on but the idea of going to the doctor is not considered too strongly because our symptoms are not of the nature serious and we feel we can handle it ourselves unless it gets to a more serious level.

The big thing to remember in this cancer battle no matter what path you choose or medical facility or exact treatment modality, this is a "One Shot Deal". Make sure the treatment you choose will in all likelihood will eradicate this cancer from your body. You don't want to have to do this again.

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

• LuvnTN
    Options

Russ, I was totally open about the fasting and the red light therapy... and I remember their reactions were like, 'why on earth are you doing that?'. Anyways, no big deal.

With regards to fasting while sick... I always remember the old saying: starve a cold, feed a fever. The word "starve" was never really taken that seriously. I don't think it is anything new.. I think it is something people just got away from with the proliferation of perscription and OTC drugs.