PET scan after 2 months of Hormone Theray

Options
sm012023
sm012023 Member Posts: 28 Member

My mother had a PET scan done last Friday. This was about 8 weeks after starting the Hormone Therapy (Anastrozole). Hormone therapy was started on May 15, 2023 and she had the last chemo before on Feb 3, 2023. So essentially she did not have any cancer treatment about 12-14 weeks in between.

The PET scan from last week shows that her uterus tumor has gone up in size and one another lymph node has gone up in size too. Other than that, rest 4 lymph nodes have neither increased/reduced and remained the same. Good news is that there are no new cancer cells anywhere else.

So what do you all think? Does this mean that hormone therapy has been sort of successful based on the most recent PET scan? And do you think that chemo + hormone therapy could be the way to go further? I would appreciate your inputs if you have seen such behavior in treatment.

I will be talking to the oncologist this week but would like to see comments here in case somebody has gone through such a situation also. Fyi -- mom is 86.

Thank you!

Comments

• Icantbelieveit
    Icantbelieveit Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I'm too new in this disease to know whether that's going to be an option, but how did she tolerate the chemo before? Because at 86, I would want the quality of my life (not being sick, feeling okay enough to still enjoy life) to be good and I might opt for comfort care.

What is your mom's feeling on treatment? Her feelings would govern what you do here. Before the pressure of the oncologist appointment, I would have a talk with her about how she sees the rest of her life, her feelings about what she's gone through so far and what she would like to do in the future.