Rebuilding Teeth

Options
DrMary
DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
edited November 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi folks - I've been off this list for a while, as my husband's cancer journey was over 10 years ago, and I had to deal with some PTSD afterward, which made me not want to even think of cancer.

However, since cancer is the gift that keeps on giving, I'm looking for advice again. His teeth, which made it through treatment, are giving up. Fortunately, it is wear and decay - the roots and gums are still going strong. He had an appointment with a prosthodontist recommended by our dentist and the treatment plan is basically to crown everything. Estimated cost is over $30K (which, I translate as "6 cars!" - we buy cheap used cars for less than $5K).

Has anyone been down this path yet? The prostho doesn't take insurance, and I can't even figure out which insurance I would use (I have CareFirst for dental and Cigna for medical). Neither company is being too helpful. Hubby is old enough to be on Medicare (just a few months back) and just retired. I retire in another year. My understanding is that Medicare does not cover dental. I don't know if it's too late to buy something supplemental.

He has worked hard all his life and I wanted to see him rest and not worry about money in retirement. This is going to put a bit of a crimp in all of that.

TIA for any help.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hi, DrMary, I am so sorry your husband is having so many dental problems. This goes hand in hand with the H&N experience, unfortunately.

I have been reading forums for quite a while and unfortunately, once you get past general things we get done to our teeth like cleanings and fillings and extractions are covered or have at least partial coverage.

It seems once you go to crowns or implants that there is no coverage that I know of. Unless there may be plans that cover part of the work he needs. Call your insurance company and ask if there is help available for this.

If you find an answer please post it here, many would benefit.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless-Russ

• Swoosh13
    Swoosh13 Member Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Hi DrMary,

I just did the research on this for my Hubbie. He will be having rad and 3 or 7 rounds of Cisplatin in a few more weeks. As he never had “great” teeth I bought us Physicians Mutual ($110/month to cover both of us). Started today. Covers Preventive care from day 1 (cleanings, exams, x-rays). As I didn’t have a card yet to give to the dentist today they told me to wait 7-10 days until we get our package and submit the claim directly to them. One thing to keep in mind is they cover more if you see a dentist in their network. Ours is in a small town so they are not, but then they cover up to 100% of the area’s average cleaning or other costs so even with the first month’s payment $110 being deducted today we will save. Also other basic services are covered right away (biopsies, fillings—we had none today thankfully, minor oral surgeries ie abscessed tooth, tooth extractions). After 12 mos 270 major services are covered—crowns, root canals, dentures, implants etc). I went with the Premier level that would cover 70% in 12 mos on like a crown. There are no deductibles and no annual maximums and you can cancel anytime. We bought Delta Dental a couple years ago ($93/mo for both) as Hubbie had an abscessed tooth, but there was a one month waiting period. It did though help with the root canal and crown and one filling he ultimately needed. But with DD you had to stay with them for one full year. But they served their purpose at the time. Maybe you need to seek out a different prosthodontist that will take this type of insurance. We are both on Medicare so I just am planning ahead. If you want PM’s number it is 1-800-764-2696.

Also I know most dentists these days offer Care Credit but I guess with $30K it’d be like making a car payment.

Hope this helped and I pray that we make it 10+ years past this “journey” as you and your husband have. He’s lucky to have you.

swoosh13

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Wow, some old timers still around too!

We were on the bus around the same time and my teeth are all messed up. I had a couple teeth extracted before treatment just to be sure there would be no issues post treatment. Teeth moved around and more weakening in general. I've not even asked for estimates because it is a big number.

I'm researching various forms of medical tourism. Countries like Thailand, South Korea, etc. offer excellent medical services at a fraction of the cost. All in including travel and stay and you are still way ahead depending on what needs be done. Here's a video for Thailand. https://youtu.be/mMhFbSJL6BM

There are others sharing their experiences.

• DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

We considered medical tourism as well - if I were retired (one more year) that would have been a solid option.

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options

I've had some kind of "compound" the tops of some 12 teeth since 2010, plus 3 new Crowns. Not sure what the compound is exactly, but your Dentist should know. Costs around $150/tooth.

• scoleh
    scoleh Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options

This will sound weird to some because it's weird to me. Having said that I know a number of people who have gone to a Mexican border town for dental services, and they have had very good results at a price that is a fraction of dental care in the US. If I run into significant problems, I will absolutely consider this alternative.

Below is a link you may use to learn more:

Fast, Cheap Dental Work Makes Mexican Town A Tourist Magnet : Shots - Health News : NPR

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options

I had success with my Cigna Medical Health Insurance covering the majority of dental work as it came from the treatment for the cancer. I went to Maxillary Facial Doctor at an affiliated hospital to where I had my treatment. This included 38 Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy sessions, 2 surgeries on my lower jaw where they cleaned up some osteoradionecrosis, pulled the last of my 4 remaining teeth, put in 4 implant posts and then uncovered those, then created a permanent appliance to replace my teeth. I did have to pay for my Co-Pays and Co-Insurance, and for the Implant Screws. But it was a total of under $ 10,000 US that took just under a year so it was 2 years worth of Co-Pays and Co-insurance. The total cost without insurance would have been in the neighborhood of $ 175,000.

I don't know if this might be an option, but might be worth an investigation.

• MPennak
    MPennak Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Your hubby is lucky to have made it that long. Radiation basically stripped the enamel off all my teeth from the start. I had to get crowns for all my teeth within 6 months after radiation therapy was over. In that last two years since the end of therapy, I've need 3 root canals. Fortunately, half of the bills were covered by dental insurance. Still very expensive.