Help please

Options
Nandorey83
Nandorey83 Member Posts: 3 Member

Good morning! I hope everybody’s doing well. My name is Fernando and my wife was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her stomach about 4 months ago. She’s already gone through 5 chemotherapy sessions with little effect. We consulted with a gastro oncologist who prescribed immunotherapy. Our current oncologist agreed as well as the gastrointestinal surgeon. The problem now is that my insurance denied it because they consider it to be an experimental drug. I am completely overwhelmed with everything that is going on right now in our lives. I would appreciate some human kindness right now to help point me in the right direction where they can help us out getting this treatment. I’ve heard of programs that assist you getting drugs and treatments at no cost as well. We have two small children and are a low income family so from the bottom of my heart I would thank suggestions or help with this. Thank you!

Comments

• Craig48
    Craig48 Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Fernando,

As a stage 3 stomach cancer survivor I had the good fortune of having a tumor fully contained within my stomach and after chemo they removed my stomach. Is your wife's tumor outside her stomach and into her abdominal cavity in general?

If you have all three physicians suggesting the same thing then I would put the problem back on their shoulders by saying "Doctor, you and your colleagues recommend something that Insurance says is to experimental for them to pay for, show me a success path here." Often times the Docs know little about costs and coverage problems, they hope that "staff" can point you in the right direction.

Craig

• Nandorey83
    Options

Hi Craig sorry it took me so long to reply. Thank you for commenting on my post. So her tumor is on the outer parts of the stomach and going into it. Last PET SCAN they did it measured 5x9 cm. The surgeon is adamant that he has to remove the whole stomach and quite frankly that scared us. Since I last posted this, they did approved a different med for the immunotherapy called Pembrolizumab by Keytruda. That’s our last hope for it to reduce it and/or lower the chances of anything coming back because it was determined to be Lynch syndrome. Thank you once again for taking the time to comment and I hope all is well with you! God bless you!

• Craig48
    Craig48 Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Well if they do end up removing her entire stomach just know that I had that done almost four years ago and after 18 months of adjustment I adapted to it and I am in my 70s.

Her case is different than mine and I am glad they have her on some of the newer therapy. I hope the side effects of the treatments are bearable day to day and your whole family is in my prayers.

Craig48

• Nandorey83
    Options

Hi Craig, yeah we’re hoping for the best but regardless we’re happy to hear testimonies like yours that everything will be ok. Thank you for your prayers, god bless!!