DazedScaredConfused

Options
DazedScaredConfused
DazedScaredConfused Member Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2023 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I’m new here. On 7/11 I received the most frightening news of my life, I was diagnosis with stage 1 endometrial cancer. Through out my life I’ve always suffered from heavy periods, heavy clotting at one point I bleed for 9 months straight. I was young adult no insurance to scared to tell my mother. After that I would have very irregular periods, which doctors would always place me on Provera. I’m 54 years old not in menopause. My GYN says that a total hysterectomy is needed. My appointment to see Womens Oncologist is Aug 1, which seems like forever. I worry about if the cancer is spreading, sitting for long periods of time while working is starting to bother me as well. I apologize if I’m rambling this affecting my mental health, I can’t sleep at times. I cry whenever I’m alone. I just don’t know what to expect.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Welcome Dazedscaredconfused. I'm so sorry to read about your diagnosis. It is scary to be told you have cancer. I wonder if you mean you have grade 1 endometrial cancer. Stage can only be determined after your hysterectomy. They will look at several organs during surgery and do pathology tests on the tissue they remove. If you have grade 1 endometrial cancer, that is the least aggressive kind. Most of those do not require treatment other than the surgery. After surgery they will tell you the stage. I waited 5 months from my initial symptom of post menopausal bleeding until my biopsy. Cancer does not spread that quickly. I was still very early stage when I had my surgery one months later! You can read about how to prepare for surgery on this website. Ask questions if you have more.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

DSC, Forherself really has good info there.

Do you have anyone you trust, who will support you when to go with you to the gynecologic oncologist on Aug 1? Someone who can act as a second set of ears and take notes of what was said? I would caution you about Dr Google, the new is old and you are a statistic of one.

I think you can understand how all of know how overwhelming this is. Get your questions ready for the doctor, diagnosis, surgery, recovery, anything. List those out so you go in prepared.

Try to take a breath. So much is done now and many long-term survivors are around on this board.

• DazedScaredConfused
    Options
  • DazedScaredConfused
    Options

Unfortunately I don’t. My mother has been in the hospital for the past 3 months fighting dry gangrene to her toe. Yes I’ve prepared a list of questions to ask the physician. I really appreciate you for responding.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

DSC, you do have a lot on your plate. Don't hesitate to ask the doctor for something to help take the edge off. It won't make you incapcitated, just until you get more answers. It is well known that people want information, and at this stage you have to wait to get the results, and then the doctors will make a plan. Try to take this a step at a time, I know that is hard, but you will do this and there is support here.

• Icantbelieveit
    Icantbelieveit Member Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2023 #7
    Options

I guess I was kinda sorta diagnosed - but not by a doctor - apparently my doctor thought he set my pathology report on a "delay" but it wasn't and I saw the report at 9:30 p.m. on a Friday night when it hit my chart.

I have my GYN onc appointment this Friday, I also am going by myself. Hoping the surgery is all I'll need. I have already decided if I need radiation or chemo I won't be having it, just a personal choice of mine. Not interested. They can do the hysterectomy. I'm pretty good at advocating for myself so not too worried.

My GYN that was trying to hide the pathology from me - I will go to my followup from the hysteroscopy/D&C with him and then I won't see him again. I feel some kind of way about that and I no longer trust him like I did.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Welcome Icantbelieveit. I didn't believe it either. I think it's a natural reaction. It's a very hard time. Your electronic chart has a choice on it to view items before the doctor. Maybe that was all it was, a setting on your chart. It is shocking to be told you have cancer. I'm really glad you are being seen by a gynecologist oncologist so soon. If you have any questions we can help. Try and write down questions for your visit with your doctor. It is easy to forget some of them with all the information you will be getting. Try and not get too far ahead of yourself.

• Prayer2023
    Prayer2023 Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Hang in there Icantbelieve it! I became a little skeptical of my GYN when the pathology report from my DNC came back Grade 1, Endometrial cancer. The second pathology report (same specimen), a week later, from the my Oncologist came back Endometrial Adenocarcinoma, Grade 3. My Oncologist said that sometimes they do a blind test and thats why it was Grade 1 at first. Yikes! Can I have two different grades of cancer in my uterus?

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Icantbelieveit, I am also happy to hear you are getting in to see gynecologic oncologist so quickly. Others here have also see the pathology reports prior to being told anything, but it sounds like you have a plan. Patients always have the choice to have or not have treatments.

Prayer2023, after my hysterectomy I was told I had both Grade 1 and Grade 3 (uterine papilary serous carcinoma - UPSC). Yes, it is possible as strange as it seems.

Please let us know how you are doing and don't hesitate to start a new thread (New Topic in the upper right hand corner of the page when you open the site). We are all so important and I would hate to not be able to follow each of your paths on this journey.

• loriorio
    loriorio Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I completely understand how you’re feeling. Back in 2018 I was diagnosed with stage 1a endometrial carcinoma. And a lot of the same things happened to me beforehand. I could not get a handle on my periods, they were coming fast and furious, and I would have to call out of work because I couldn’t stop it from flowing. It was heavy, and what I found out later was that my endometrial lining was growing so fast from the cancer that was there that it was shedding all at once, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. After I got concerned enough about how bad it was getting I finally went in to see a doctor, and from there the diagnosis came. I had a partial hysterectomy. It was terrifying because I didn’t see it coming even though all the signs were there from the beginning. I think I just didn’t wanna believe that that could happened to me. I am so sorry that you are going through this. If you need someone to just talk through this with I’m here. You’re definitely not in it alone.

• DazedScaredConfused
    Options

Thank you! for reaching out my surgery date is Aug 14. I’m nervous and scared but so ready to get this taken care of. I’m starting to have stomach and back pain now.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Best of luck with your surgery on Monday, DSC! Wishing you a full and speedy recovery as well as a good pathology report! Let us know how you're doing and feeling after surgery.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

DazedScaredConfused,

Most of us were exactly where you are now and I am very happy that you came here before your surgery as we can help you through this. Remember to read the posts about what to expect for surgery, and post surgical information. All of the information is so complicated and scary at first but you will begin to sort out what pertains to you, and your treatment plan. Lots of experience here to help you sort out the important stuff. If you are going to be alone after surgery, try to have prepared food on hand, etc. as even the robotic surgery (I don't know what type you are having) can leave you sore and tired for about a week, much longer for open abdominal. We are here for you so if you have any questions or concerns we can help.

xxoo

Denise