I’m new here

Options
kathkell87
kathkell87 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello. I’m 53 years old and newly diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer found during my first colonoscopy. I will be seeing Oncology on Monday. I saw my surgeon earlier this week who said that rectal cancer is often treated successfully with chemo/radiation only. So surgery might not be in my future. My husband and I have so many questions. Hopefully seeing my oncologist will hopefully begin to a answer them.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Hello - It is such an awful time, when you are first diagnosed. So much fear. So much unknown. I know it sounds weird, but you will start feeling better once you have a plan of action, be it chemo, radiation, surgery or all of them.

I found it helpful to Start writing down all of my questions in a note book, and asking my Oncologist to answer them all, often jotting down his answers. I did that throughout my treatment.

That first visit to the Oncologist can be so overwhelming. So much information overload.

I would definitely get his/her opinion on surgery, and if you are still not sure, then a second opinion is always a good option.

Let us know how things go, and we will be here for you as you travel the long road to being NED (No Evidence of Disease)

Tru

• STI_1911
    STI_1911 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Yes, like Trubrit says, a plan of action is the most important part and doctors who know what they are doing and talking about.

It's all a matter of trust in the end. So take your time to select your doctors based on knowledge and experience. This type of cancer takes years to grow so you could afford a few days to hear other oppinions and chose carefully.

All the best

• winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I’m just chiming in to say I hope everything works out well for you. I know how overwhelming it is in the beginning. Tons of questions and uncertainty. Just remember that you are your best advocate and don’t ever be afraid to ask questions or challenge a doctor’s suggestions. They’re experts, but we are the ones going through the process. A good doctor will listen to your concerns and look for solutions.

Second opinions are always reasonable requests. Don’t feel intimidated to ask for one or to ask any doctor to explain in depth why they are making any recommendation.

Cancer is an absurdly stressful process, with waiting between doctor’s appointments and tests being some of the worst times. As Truebrit said though, it gets easier once you have a plan in place and know what all the next steps are.

Hang in there! You can do this! Please just do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself mentally, emotionally, and physically. I hope every step turns out to be the best possible case and you breeze through it all!

• kathkell87
    Options

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I saw Oncology today and start chemo in 2 weeks. Have some CT scans and port placement between now and then. I have chemo counseling on Thursday that should answer a lot of questions.

• Trubrit
    Options

Good news! You are on your way to NED (no evidence of disease). The first steps are always the hardest, and soon you will be in the flow of things, and while I won't lie, and tell you it will make life easier, it will definitely give you a feeling of doing something proactive, in beating the beast.

Once you find out what chemo regime you will on, we will be here to help you along the way.

Tru

• STI_1911
    STI_1911 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Well done, you're on the way now. I'm not saying it's an easy one but you will make it. Just as i did.

You will learn something about nutrition to support your body. It helped me a lot. What also helps is to keep moving. Any kind of activity gives you the feeling that your body is still able to work.

All the best

• DRL74
    DRL74 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I had 3C and 3 out of the 21 lymphnodes were infected. I was terrified of the chemo and not the cancer. I was lucky to have 6 rounds of pills and 5 infusions. Did fine. Lots of fatigue, insomnia, and neuropathy. Still dealing with neuropathy. I would write down my questions because I could not remember things. My doc would ask if I had any questions and I would look at my list. Ask all questions even if you think it is dumb. There are no dumb questions when it comes to health.

Ask your surgeon about chances of a colostomy. I wa told about it but did think I would have one. When I woke up I had one. I was bitter for a long time but have nurses come to me and they were great support. It was an adjustment but I lived. With out it, my colon would have ruptured and well I would not be here.

Remember you are not the only one going through this as may of has have been your shoes. Stay strong and cry, be mad, angry, and frustrated if you need to. This is not easy to navigate.

• Sestra17
    Sestra17 Member Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Hello. I also had stage III. Had chemo and radiation. Then surgery. Then more chemo. That was 5&1/2 years ago and things are going ok. As others have said it’s important to write down questions, also good to have a family member or friend go to appointments with you. Be Well.

• kathkell87
    Options

Thanks everyone. I have my second infusion of chemo tomorrow. They are planning on 12 cycles of chemo. Then they’ll assess how the tumor looks. Depending on that, I’ll either begin 4 weeks of oral chemo/radiation or go all straight to surgery. My tumor is high in my rectum, almost to where the rectum joins the colon. So I might now need the oral chemo and radiation before surgery. I may have a temporary ileostomy but no expectation of that being permanent. There is also the potential for post surgical radiation, again depending on the tumor’s response.

• Trubrit
    Options

It is always good when you get your plan of action. I hope the treatment isn't too harsh on you, and that you get everything put to rights so you can celebrate NED - No Evidence of Disease.

Thank you for the update.

Tru

• clt769
    clt769 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi. I’m 60 and I think we are tracking on an identical path, so far. I got my port on Wednesday. I’m waiting to hear back on my chemo date. Chemo is what makes me nervous. I’m doing my homework and going to try to be as strong and as mentally prepared as I can be. I’ll sure be here to support you, if I can figure out this site. You are the first person I have reached out to. Just know I care.

• clt769
    clt769 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

How did the first chemo treatment go for you? My tumor is located in the same location. Are you doing okay?