Endometrial Adenocarcinoma that is involved Adenomyoma’s

Options
bunny159
bunny159 Member Posts: 2 Member

I am 60 and recently diagnosed with Endometrial Adenocarcinoma. After my surgery my pathology report looked good with just a 3mm Myometrial invasion, and clear lymph nodes, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. However it also stated that In addition to superficial Myometrial invasion, the tumor involves the Adenomyoma/s identified in blocks 3 K and 3 L located deep within the outer half of the myometrium and extending to within 0.2 cm from the serosal surface. Additional invasion arising from the adenomyoma can not be entirely ruled out. Which bumped my grade up to grade 1A, and Brachytherapy is recommended. I know that Adenomyoma’s are benign, but I haven’t found much information regarding an Adenomyoma’s involved with Adenocarcinoma’s. My radiologist said that she hadn’t seen this before and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar results. Thank you in advance for information that you can share.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Welcome Bunny159. Sorry to read about your recent diagnosis but welcome. Your question about adenomyomas being malignant is new as far as I have seen. I have not read of anyone else having this. As far as I know, endometrial cancers are all adenocarcinoma. MMMT is a cancer of the muscle cells of the uterus.

Copied from Cleveland Clinic. What is adenocarcinoma?

"If you’ve been told that you have adenocarcinoma, it means that you have cancer in the glands that line your organs. This type of cancer can affect several different areas of your body. "

All endometrial cancers are adenocarcinomas. Serous, clear cell, and endometrioid. MMMT is cancer of the muscle cells of the uterus. This is my understanding. I just wondered too, if stage 1A was correct. It sounds like your invasion was 50% when you include the adenomas. That would be stage 1B?

I have learned that we are all different. With different mutations and different cell types. You are the first I have seen with this, but maybe someone else will comment. There is lots of information here about brachytherapy.

Sue

• bunny159
    bunny159 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you for your response, I appreciate you input! I am confused about the stage of 1A as well, but since they are treating it like 1B and going forward with the Brachytherapy I feel confident that I am on the correct path. I have read some studies that have looked into Adenomyoma’s that can become cancerous but there’s really not that much information, and those studies are hard to decipher with all of the medical lingo. I am just hoping to get more information, well, because the more you know!

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Yes we like to say we are a statistic of one. The medical studies are hard to read. It gets easier each time you read it you will learn.