Chemo or no chemo?

Options
Akninjarn
Akninjarn Member Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I was diagnosed with moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma of the descending colon in early June. I just had my colon resection 12 days ago. The surgeon removed my entire transverse colon because that is where the tumor was, not the descending colon as the GI doctor noted on his report. Luckily, he tattooed it so the surgeon could easily locate the tumor. The pathology from the surgical specimen was identified as well differentiated. The discrepancies make me nervous my lymph nodes were all clear. 30 removed. My initial and CT shows some colon wall thickening in the descending colon. I’m stage 2, as the tumor is in the muscle layer. Waiting to see oncologist on Friday. I’m hoping no chemo but wondering if they should give it to me anyway because I’m nervous about recurrence.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Welcome to the forum, the forum nobody care to know about, let alone join.

I am sorry for your diagnosis, but alas, you are no on the journey.

It is always a hard decision between chemo and no chemo. Obviously talking it over with your Oncologist will help you with this decision. It literally could go either way.

I know there are other members with differing stories, and I hope they come along with allot more to offer than myself. My experience was so different, being up there in the Stage IV range.

I wish you luck as you move forward, and hope that if you do go the chemo route, that you come and visit with us, so we can help in any way we can.

Tru

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I was a stage 2 rectal tumor. Because of its size we did chemo/radiation first to reduce it before the surgeon removed that portion of my colon. No lymph nodes were involved. The debate then began as to whether or not to do the follow-up chemo. The oncologist said yes, my heart said no. I relented but clearly stated that if I experienced any negative effects then I would stop. I made it through three sessions and then tapped out. My weight was becoming dangerously low and my mental health/attitude was also waning. I am now 6 years NED (no evidence of disease) so it seems that I did not need any additional chemo.

The decision regarding your treatment is YOUR decision. Collection information; discuss it with others; pray about it; meditate over it; sleep on it. But ultimately it is YOUR decision. Undoubtedly a tough decision, but one that you must make because you will be the one living with the consequences.

Good luck and regardless of your decision/outcome I hope that you find peace in your new normal.

Jim

• Akninjarn
    Options

Thank you. Hearing about your experience helps. I’m so happy you are 6 years NED.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Chemo is a highly personal decision, but absent specific reasons, if the oncologist does not recommend it (and doctors tend to be very conservative), I would not pursue it. You might want to specifically ask what advantage in survival chemo could provide. For me, surgery was nothing and chemo was hell. If I had a chance to skip chemo, I would have grabbed it. Best of luck with these tough issues.

• Akninjarn
    Options

Thank you for sharing. I will definitely listen to my oncologist. I’m just scared it will come back and my survival chances will go down.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

There are lots of non-chemo strategies to help avoid recurrence, from having healthy vitamin d levels, to exercise, to taking things like cimetidine, and there are endless possibilities with supplements. I must admit taking these steps helped me to feel I had some control over things. Fear of cancer sticks with almost all of us.

• Akninjarn
    Options

Thank you. I will certainly look into all of that. I’m willing to do whatever I can to lower the chances of recurrence. I think I’m probably still in shock over this whole thing.