Multiple pleural based nodules

Options
regwithnodules
regwithnodules Member Posts: 1 *
edited October 2023 in Lung Cancer #1

Hi, everyone. New to all this so my apologies if I use incorrect terminology. CT scan without contract in May showed "multiple pleural based nodules", the largest being 6mm, a couple at 3mm, and more smaller (total somewhere between 8-10) in both lungs Presently awaiting 6 month rescan (ugh...the waiting!). Question: Would wedge resection for single nodules/tumors something that can be done or do I have too many for that type of procedure? And if it is indeed cancer, since it's in both lungs, would any surgery work for me? Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Options

until a nodule reaches 10 mm (1cm) it is too small to biopsy safely Your doctor is being cautious. Only 15% of lung nodules become cancerous There are many things that can cause nodules: asthma, chest colds, allergies, mild, household cleaner fumes, auto exhaust, pneumonia, influenza, Covid, air pollution, paint fumes, and more.

By waiting to biopsy they are giving the nodules a chance to disappear on their own (happens often), become stable, or, grow to a size that is safe to biopsy. If it’s too small they may miss it and get a false negative. I have nodules that have been present since my cancer was diagnosed in 2010, they haven’t changed.

It can’t hurt to get a second opinion though. Get one at an NCCN affiliated center of excellence if possible. If not, a medical teaching college near you.

https://www.nccn.org/home/member-institutions

• teeisme57
    teeisme57 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Like you I had 3 nodules in each lung. The largest ones were on my left side. They didn't glow on a pet scan but my thoracic surgeon biopsied them in the middle of my surgery to find out if they were cancerous. They were. Had they been non-cancerous, my doctor would have done a resection (my nodules were close together), since they were cancerous, he did the lobectomy.

• Tico14
    Tico14 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Looks like I may be following this thread. I don't know anything about lung cancer but I do have breathing issues so had a CT without last week. While nothing breathing wise has been dx so far, I found that I too have a number of nodules, the largest at 5cm. My PCP just called and doesn't suspect cancer but COPD, but without additional information they're going to schedule a repeat the CT in early December and see if the nodules are still there. Waiting. Sure is fun.

• dennycee
    Options

We like to call that anxious time coming up on a new scan 'scanxiety'. 95% of nodules are benign. They can be caused by asthma, allergies, cleaning fumes, air pollution, molds, and other things. Some disappear on their own, some never change.

Your doctor may not be seeing other things that can signal cancer or other diseases. If the mass is smooth (No spiculations) it is more likely to be benign. At 5 cm a nodule or mass is too small to cause symptoms unless it is in a spot that blocks the airway. Your doctor is probably trying to be careful to prevent unnecessary surgery.

Please let us know what you learn at the follow up CT. It is normal to follow nodules for 2 years to track any growth or change.

• Tico14
    Options

Dennycee, thanks for your response and sorry about taking so long to reply not to mention your terminology of "scanxiety". I have it.

Since my earlier, first, post here I received a report of the CT. Below are a couple of things noted that concern me and any lay clarifications will be appreciated.

Under "Impressions" in the CT report it wants another CT performed (it's already scheduled mid-December) to question a 9.2mm ovoid nodule in the left upper lobe. But they also mentioned a 5cm irregular opacity along a fissure. I would think the 5cm irregular opacity would be of more concern that the 9.2mm ovoid nodule.

Thanks.

• dennycee
    Options

First I made a mistake. That should have read at 5 mm it is too small to biopsy. Anything over 10 mm is safer.

Anything 5 cm does sound concerning. I would ask the doctor if it appeared in a previous CT, has it changed at all, and what does he see as irregular in it.

Wish I could be more help.

• Tico14
    Options

Nah! I figured you were thinking 5cm vs the 5mm you wrote. Thanks. Any reason for their concern about the 9.2 ovoid one?

• dennycee
    Options

Generally speaking, cancerous nodules are not smooth and regular in symmetry. There's probably always an exception but, as a lay person, I don't have enough knowledge to say for certain.