I’m a survivor but never dealt with cancer

Options
Dominick2023
Dominick2023 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hello Ny name is Rich and I’m 56. I had kidney cancer at age 35. I’m lucky and blessed that my cancer was contained within my kidney. I had a RT Nephrectomy with no chemo or radiation at age 35. At that time I was a carpenter and my wife also worked and we had a 6month old son. I thought I had another kidney stone but it turned out to be a mass. I will never forget the day my wife who was a nurse came home and burst into tears. I was frozen and had a fear which I have never experienced in my entire life. She said you have a mass and it’s cancer. So ofc I couldn’t work for some time and she worked full time. I had to take care of our 6 month old and try to take care of myself mentally and physically. Family and friends can never understand what it’s like till you’ve had it and had someone tell you that you have cancer. There is no fear that compares. So yes I’m lucky and grateful for my life now but have never dealt with having cancer. I never got to feel bad . I never got to deal with any of the emotions. I’m just looking for help from people who know what it’s like . Comments or groups or anything is welcome

Comments

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

Hello Rich,

nice to meet you! Your story is similar to my husband's - he was diagnosed with Stage 1 kidney cancer at 36 years old. I was pregnant with our first baby at that time. These were very scary days, but 8 years later he is NED and healthy, our daughter is 8 years old already! :-)

So you are NED for 20 years, I am soooo happy to hear that! It means you can beat cancer, it strengthens hope that my husband's cancer will never return

• Quietlady7
    Quietlady7 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi Rich- I understand what you are saying. I had a similar experience where I had things going on and my emotions were stuffed. That was more than three years ago and I have started to attend cancer survivor events and grief events (was widowed last year). It seems that most cancer treatment centers offer things for survivors and there is no time limit on when you can attend. Feel free to give them a call and see what they offer. I have been to a drum circle, a painting party, a Christmas party and a nutrition class so far and found it a comfort to be around those who have experienced the trauma of knowing the big C. Best wishes and good thoughts.

• Dominick2023
    Options

Thank you so much I appreciate it

• Allochka
    Options

Hello again Rich!

May I ask for how long after surgery you had follow-up? Are you being monitored somehow now?

Thanks!

Alla

• Dominick2023
    Options

I think the first follow up was probably 6 months after surgery and no I’m not being followed anymore. They only follow you for probably less than 5 years .

• Allochka
    Options

Thanks! There is no consensus how long to follow patients with low probability of recurrence, it seems. But 5 years or so is a usual thing. Anyway, you are NED for 20 years, amazing! It is so wonderful to know!