Focal laser ablation

parsaver56
parsaver56 Member Posts: 8 Member
edited July 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

I just received FLA for my 2 lesions of cancer in my prostate. Has anyone else had this procedure and what are long term successes even though it is relatively new. Thank you!

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    edited July 2023 #2

This is from the American Urological Association:

Clinicians should inform patients with intermediate-risk prostate cancer considering whole gland or focal ablation that there are a lack of high-quality data comparing ablation outcomes to radiation therapy, surgery, and active surveillance. (Expert Opinion)

A major problem with focal ablation is that prostate cancer is often multifocal. Although your treatment may have removed two major lesions, there could well be others, currently too small to see in a scan. In the positive side, i believe that further treatment is possible if that occurs.

Another issue is that focal laser ablation may not be covered by insurance.

• parsaver56

Thanks Old Salt. You are correct that the scan may have missed smaller lesions. Also it does leave the door open to chase them down again. Was curious if anyone else has 4-6 years under their belt with FLA. I've been advised to have PSA every 6 months and MRI every year to monitor the success of the treatment. I went in with a PSA of 4.4 and I am 67 years old. A biopsy was conducted at the time of the ablation and I am waiting on those results.

I was out of pocket for entire cost.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

Thanks for the response.

Your PSA should (have) come down significantly; did it?

With respect to long-term successes, you might find more info on forums that have many European members. Here in the USA, focal ablation as a therapy for prostate cancer is still relatively uncommon.

• parsaver56

Next psa and mri in 6 months recommended. Would more likely be sky high until dead cells make their way out.

Thanks for the forum advice.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

Nothing useful to add, but thanks for being one of the people who will prove out this therapy.

Here’s to cancer-free results!

• parsaver56

❤️❤️