How to be better mentally post cancer

Options
kfb
kfb Member Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2023 in Emotional Support #1

I had appendicitis when I was 15. And it was caused by a carcinoid tumor. When I was 16 I underwent a major bowel reconstruction surgery to make sure they got everything. I have been cancer free ever since. I want others advice. Ever since my operation I have not been the same. I was very bubbly and positive and had a great outlook on life before I went through that. But after I’ve become very negative and narcissistic and that has cause a lot of anxiety and depression. It has effected alot of my relationships and I just want to get back to my old self. I want others advice on how they got through it. I’ve never asked for help before because I always felt what I went through was insignificant to others but i have come to realize I’m not who I want to be or who I was. And this is a big reason why so I want to get better

Comments

• P1CancerSurvivor
    P1CancerSurvivor Member Posts: 7 *
    Options

Kfb,

Please reach out for therapy. There are many sites that can assist to get you the care you need, contact your insurance, they may be able to help you. Please look up your local DMH (Department of Mental Health), they may assist in helping you find a therapist. You don't have to drive or visit them, may non-profits perform telehealth sessions via Facetime, Zoom or any other "meeting app". They even conduct them via phone calls. Please look for a local non-profit mental health clinic, most will take walk-ins or refer you to a clinic that will be able to assist you. It takes time, you have the strength to seek assistance and guidance. Help is only a phone call away. You're not alone.