Side effects of anastrozole

Options
CDReyn
CDReyn Member Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I have taken anastrozole for seven months with unfortunately multiple side effects. Some I can take in stride, but others are severe. The two that bother me most led me to seek consultations with other doctors. I have not seen these side effects mentioned except as rare ones in couple studies in JAMA, NIH, etc. 

One is multiple severe overheating with dizziness, fainting and rapid heart rates, regardless of the activity. My cardiologist did an extensive study, with various tests ruling out everything, but the fact that I was dehydrated which was possibly contributing to rapid heart rates. Unfortunately, no amount of electrolytes or water mitigated the rapid heart rates.

Before the breast cancer diagnosis, I exercised regularly and lifted weights. Less than 2 months into taking the anastrozole, I lost range of motion in my right arm with sharp pain running down my shoulder to my wrist and sometimes up to my neck. The doctor seemed to lean towards carpal tunnel syndrome. An in depth study is pending.

I temporarily stopped taking the anastrozole to see if it was contributing to these two very quality of life limiting symptoms. Twelve days later, no more rapid heart rates (still having minor hot flashes) and range of motion along with pain in shoulder and arm have diminished substantially. I managed the gym this week with a light workout.

I have an appointment scheduled to consult again with oncologist for a way forward. Just curious, if anyone else has had any experience with these side effects.

I can handle some aches and pains, losing hair, fatigue, and being hot a few times each day. Not being able to even stand up due to overheating and rapid heart rates ruled out going for a walk, driving, or going to the gym. Losing my right arm function meant not being able to bake or cook meals, giving up gardening and art.

I am apologize for the length of my post. I am struggling to figure out how to cope. Terrible to decide what path to take. (BTW, I am also a 20 year survivor of a leiomyosarcoma and now the new IDC stage one breast cancer diagnosis.). Considering assisted living if I return to the aromatase inhibitor as I am unable to bathe, wash my hair or dress without assistance.

Comments

• Chelle1229
    Chelle1229 Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I get fulvestrant shots on a monthly basis which treats my estrogen portion of my breast cancer.

I too have had the pain and numbness in my right arm. My fingers are still somewhat numb. I took muscle relaxers for the shoulder pain and arm pain which helped somewhat but still have the nerve tingling. I agree I have been nervous about cooking and doing other things with my right hand. Seeing the Oncology PA on Monday, thanks to your post I will tell them about it. My internist said to use ice and heat. Acupuncture is the only thing that has helped.

I hope they can find a solution for your side effects.

• Sailgurl
    Sailgurl Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I started anastrozole 6 weeks ago. I had a hysterectomy 19 yrs ago and had both ovaries removed. So I am shocked I’m having bad hot flashes again. Now i have dizziness all the time and the hot flashes are horrible. Last night I got up twice with the hot flashes. I’m trying to tough this out, but I feel a little crazy. Has anyone had any luck with a homeopathic remedy to give some relief for the hot flashes? Some of the initial side effects have eased up, but the dizziness and hot flashes are tough.

• TereseMitchell
    TereseMitchell Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I fainted and broke both feet 4 weeks ago and have been taking anastrozole since last December for breast cancer. I didn’t think about the meds causing my fainting until your post. Thank you!

• cindykimber
    cindykimber Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor. Last December I was in the hospital for 11 days due to heart failure. They think my heart damage was caused by chemo.(I was on red devil). Had a pacemaker/ defibrillator placed this July. Have been dizzy ever since. Thought it was because of pacemaker. Now thinking it might be the anastrozole......