T-Lymphoid markers positive

Options

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. My brother (Age-32) who is in India had a Flow Cytometry test and the T-Lymphoid markers came positive.To be specific CD3,CD5,CD 7 -positive ,CD4,CD8- double positive ,CD 10 is positive

The doctor ruled out Leukemia and is suspecting T cell Lymphoma. The CT scan report of the chest also showed a mass. The biopsy is done yesterday. The report hasn't yet come. The doctor asked him to come after 3 days. they have drawn blood from the spinal cord for the test. They have done many tests for diff viruses like HIV, Hepatitis all came negative. We are worried. Could you please let me know what exactly it means?

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

Welcome, but very sorry to hear of your worries. Was the flow cytometry performed on a sample of the mass? If so, then it may point to a lymphoid malignancy, or it may point to T-Lymphocyte involvement in some other condition, T-Cells being a crucial part of the immune system. As well, normal individuals can have the double positive T-Cell markers, but this may point to a problem with his thymus, which the body uses as a "training c enter" for T-Lymphocytes to do their job. Further testing will need to be done. This may include F.I.S.H. testing pr even genomic sequencing on the biopsy cells.

T-Cell malignancies can be extremely difficult to properly identify. There are about 28 varities of T-Cell Lymphomas/Leukemias, and they are quite different from each other. The structure if the mass is also important. If it is an enlarged lymph node, it could signify an infectious process or other immune system activation. Has he had any vaccinations recently? They all provoke an immune response and this response can be normal, even desirable. As I mentioned, further testing is needed and the mass itself, as well as his general health, should be closely monitored.

• Maitreyee
    Maitreyee Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thank you for your response.

what I understood from my brother is the cytometry test is conducted on blood drawn from hand. Not from mass. The ct guided biopsy is conducted on the mass found in chest. Report hasn’t yet come . Along with that lumbar puncture test is also performed and we are waiting for the result as well. I checked and confirmed that he has not taken any vaccination recently.

• po18guy
    edited July 2023 #4
    Options

"Normally" when cancerous T-Lymphocytes are found in the blood, it indicates a leukemia. Otherwise, it might indicate a condition known as a "Lymphoproliferative disease, whhich might not be canc erous. Or, it coujld be an advanced lymphoma. Was he truly sick, or was this blood test for some other reason? Even so, I have been at stage IV with two different T-Cell Lymphomas, the first time in 2008 and the second in 2014-2015. Lymphoma is treatable at all stages and late stage lymphoma is usually when it is found in the body. I am praying for your brother!

• Maitreyee
    Maitreyee Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your response.

it started with when he had dry cough and felt pain in chest while breathing. Then the neck started swollen up. Doctor initially gave antibiotics which did not help. He was feeling just tired. Doc then recommended blood work , thyroid test and ct scan of neck / thorax . The thyroid came out normal. However they found a mass in scan . In the blood test showed total leukocyte count high and few other components out of normal range. So they mentioned it might suggest accute leukemia/ lymphoma spill over. The biospsy and other result has not yet come. Once the information comes, I will update you. Thank you for providing the support .

• po18guy
    Options

Keep the hope up. Even rare and aggressive lymphomas are survivable. First, let us hope that it is something else, but even if, there is much support and many resources.