Leaning to RP due to Dad's History

2»

Comments

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 389 Member

Well, I had a RP in March 2018. I was 67 at the time. My Gleason score was 4+3=7. My decision to follow the surgery path, instead of radiation, was mainly how long would the radiation occupy me vs the surgery. I chose surgery based on the information provided to me by the doctors. In my surgery they removed 8 lymph nodes; seminal vesicles; prostate gland, and dissected the internal bladder sphincter. Also, they did a in surgery biopsy close to my bladder neck to verify the best they could that the PC had not left the gland. Then they put me back together minus those parts. When they take your seminal vesicles out, this will preclude you from ever having an ejaculation as you know it. I don't know if they still take lymph nodes out, but in my case they were just checking for any spread. I am continent (started shoring up around the 4th month and done by the 6th month, post surgery. I am intimate with my wife. I did not ever have complete ED. Most importantly my PSA is less than or equal to .04 ng/ml. This is undetectable. You can search on my post and see a copy of my surgical procedure and my post surgery biopsy. Good luck on your journey.

• PaBill
    PaBill Member Posts: 11 Member

Thank you. I'm glad your surgery had such a great outcome. I see the Dr on 9/7 to discuss options, but I have already decided on RP.