Cough during/following radiation

Options
RPStumpf
RPStumpf Member Posts: 16 Member

Hey, I just wanted to give folks a heads up about the cough, pneumonitis, that can result from radiation for breast cancer treatment. I had a month's worth of radiation, and early on started to develop a mild cough. It got a bit worse as treatment went on, but the doc said it probably wasn't radiation-related. He said that typically, this side effect (if it happens) will show up a month or more AFTER treatment. So no testing was done.

My symptoms continued, and worsened, so finally I got an xray that showed some damage to my lungs (the pneumonitis). It's fairly mild damage, but about 5-6 months out from radiation, I am still wheezing and occasionally have a cough. My oncologist says this will likely be permanent. If they'd acknowledged the possibility of pneumonitis earlier, could prednisone have mitigated the long-term effect? I can't help but wonder.

Then this month, my coworker who just underwent radiation for breast cancer said she has developed an annoying cough, which started during her treatment. Like my doctor, the radiation doc is telling her it can't be pneumonitis because it typically shows up a month or more after treatment!! They are making her wait 2 months for her next appointment... but I told her to push back, and insist they investigate NOW, even though it "shouldn't" be happening yet.

Just passing this along, in case anyone else undergoing radiation is experiencing the cough, and being told it's too early for pneumonitis to develop. It can't hurt to make them investigate this. Maybe it's more common than they realize.

Comments

• CDReyn
    CDReyn Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I also developed radiation pneumonitis after targeted radiation two times a day for seven days. Within in a week, I developed a cough, but oncologist stated never happens so soon nor with targeted radiation. Less than two weeks later, my O2 level during coughing episodes dropped to 89. Became hoarse, dizzy, faint, heavy chest with no congestion.

I tried using my asthma medications, cough syrup, etc, but nothing helped. My PCP, who ruled out Covid, RSV, asthma, flu, pneumonia, etc. ordered steroids and inhalers which after 30+ days finally cleared the cough. I was also able to contact my radiologist who stated that radiation pneumonitis with targeted radiation is very rare, although one other patient had the same issue I experienced.

I am finding that when outside the “norm”, it is sometimes very difficult to get some docs to listen. Luckily my family doctor of 20 years and the radiologist were willing to realize that something was very wrong and were able to help.

• RPStumpf
    RPStumpf Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I'm glad someone listened to you! Your story, combined with mine and my friend's story, makes me wonder if pneumonitis due to targeted radiation is as rare as the docs like to think it is. I hope our posts will help others who have the same reaction.