Help for hiccups after starting FOLFIRINOX?

Options
mbuchholtz
mbuchholtz Member Posts: 1 *
edited July 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Yesterday was my first day of chemo - FOLFIRINOX for liver-only colon cancer (colon mass was removed by hemicolectomy). I have the pump giving 5-FU for another two days. The day went really well, almost no side effects. But since last night - not long after taking my sleeping med - I've had near-constant hiccups. If you've dealt with this, I'd love to hear how you managed it.

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

I never had chemo-based hiccups, but for the ordinary kind, swallowing a teaspoon of peanut butter helps.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited July 2023 #3
    Options

Hello, and welcome to the forum that nobody wants to join.

I have definitely heard of Chemo induced hiccups. If you hit the search button and type in hiccups, it may pull up a few old threads.

Like Sandia, it was one of the few side effects I didn't have - thank goodness.

I am sure you have checked with your Oncologist about taking the sleeping medication. Best rule out that, that isn't causing the problem.

I wish you luck, and keep us informed on how everything goes.

I searched Hiccups, and there should be something here to help. Hopefully this link will take you there https://csn.cancer.org/search?query=HIccups&scope=site&source=community

Tru

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Options

hi, sorry to hear this. I never had chemo hiccups but my father gave me a sure cure. It may sound silly but take a good sip of water and hold it in your mouth. Lift your arms and put your fingers in your ears. Lean slightly forward and swallow. My understanding is that this lifts your diaphragm and stops the hiccups. It has worked for me every time.

good luck

k

• fishtrap1
    fishtrap1 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

See if they are giving you Dexamethasone with you chemo. If so, have them switch to Pred instead. There are many NIH articles about this. It took care of my hiccup issue.