Just got biopsy results — A little overwhelmed

Options
2»

Comments

• Elyce
    Elyce Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Thanks! So then is everything removed through the vagina (ovaries, cervix, fallopian tubes and uterus)?

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Most often they remove the uterus through the vagina. I think it is 5 small incisions. I also have an incision above my pubic bone. My uterus was too large to remove easily from my vagina. They need some leeway on the procedure you get when they actually view inside.

• Forherself
    edited July 2023 #24
    Options

And to avoid spreading cancer cells by cutting up an organ, they put it in little sealed sacs. It is quite complicated. I guess you can ask your surgeon what happened.

• Icantbelieveit
    Icantbelieveit Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I think it's just going to be 5 total (this is from my vast YouTube research on lap/robotic hysterectomy...LOL and yes the "old" way of grinding everything up in there isn't done anymore because all they were doing was seeding the abdomen with cancer cells, so they remove everything intact.

• Elyce
    Options

So I had my surgery yesterday and came home today. Apparently I wasn’t careful enough or too fast in getting up and down from my sofa and got a little bleeding under the “liquid skin” in two of my incisions. Has anyone else experienced this? And should I be concerned, or do I just need to be more careful going forward? I sent a message to my doctor’s team, but thought I would ask here as well.

• Forherself
    Options

Well that is great to have that over with. I hope your doctors office responds soon. I did not have post op bleeding. I think activity can be a contributing factor but bleeding can also happen anyway. Since you did have an episode of bleeding though, I would be more careful about movement. But keep moving gently. It is so important for a good recovery

• Elyce
    Options

Yes, I’m definitely trying to move more slowly and carefully!

• Icantbelieveit
    Options

Yes! Move very slow...but the amount of bleeding doesn't sound worrisome. I would just make sure I was resting as much as I can, doing the slow moves and just taking it easy until you feel stronger.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options

Elyce, you had major surgery so try to take it easy. I would also suggest if you have any questions call the doctors office. They really are there to help you in the recovery. I am sure they have seen it before so they will help.

Surgery done and this is great news!

• Elyce
    Options

Update with good news — My pathology came back and my cancer was Stage 1A, so no need for any further treatment! I have my post-op visit two weeks from today, but I think after that I just have to do six-month followup appointments.

I do have one question. When I was reading my pathology report I noticed that the grade had changed from 1 (after my hysteroscopy/D&C/biopsy) to 2. Would that likely be because there wasn’t enough tissue with the initial biopsy to present the whole picture? And does the grade increase the likelihood of the cancer coming back elsewhere, or does it not matter so much now that everything is gone? (Okay, so that turned out to be more than one question!)

Finally, a big thank you to everyone in this community who offered support and shared experiences. You’re all such a great source of knowledge!

• Forherself
    Options

That is great you don't need further treatment. The grade can change because pathologists don't all agree on the type of cells. It is a very difficult job with no cut and dried lines. My type of cell changed after my slides were sent to a University Hospital. I asked why and was told "community pathologists" are not as experienced as gynecological pathologists. I didn't know there was such a thing. The grade does increase the risk of recurrence. If you are concerned about that, ask for a second opinion.

• Elyce
    Options

Thanks. I looked up the pathologist’s name on the hospital’s website (which happens to be a university hospital) and sure enough, he is a gynecological pathologist. So I’m assuming he’s pretty accurate.

• Prayer2023
    Prayer2023 Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Great news, Elyce! I always assumed that Stage 1A still had to have Chemo and/or Radiation. More of a preventative process. Maybe that was years ago though. My surgery is this Friday and I’m a bit scared, but staying positive! I think I’m more scared of getting chemo or radiation.

• Elyce
    Options

I hear you on that! Intellectually I know that people undergo chemo and radiation all the time and get through it, but I live by myself with nobody to keep an eye on me, so the thought of having to endure it totally alone scared the crap out of me!

Anyway, good luck to you on Friday. One tip that I read somewhere and am passing along: Ask whoever will be driving you home to bring along a pillow to put over your stomach area in order to absorb any shock from going over bumps on the road. I did that and I don’t know exactly how much it affected things one way or the other, but I do know that I didn’t feel much impact.

• Forherself
    Options

I don't think of chemo and radiation as just in case. They can cause damage in themselves so are given for documented reasons. I did not have treatment even though I had a high grade cell type. I only had cells in one polyp. Our cancers are rare so there is not proven protocols for treatment. When protocol is unknown or unproven, the patient has to choose. There are risks for both decisions. Stage 1A endometrioid endometrial cancer usually does not have treatment.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options

Elyce, did you write that you were diagnosed (dx) with Stage 1A but it was initially thought to be Grade 1 and the report says Grade 2? Did I read that right? I am glad to hear you are doing well.

prayer, this is a journey, so try to take it one step at a time. I know that is easier said than done, and I can tell you I got so worried of what was going to happen in the future. I wish I could tell what to do to not go down that road, but try to take a breath.

• Elyce
    Options

I actually didn’t get the final pathology until three days ago and so didn’t know about the stage until then.

The initial Grade 1 assessment was from the biopsies taken from my hysteroscopy and D&C from back in June, I guess due to the fact that there were a limited number of those biopsies. The final grading was after absolutely everything was removed and analyzed. I had previously asked my gyne onc if the grading ever changed and he did tell me that sometimes it happens, due to not having access to the whole picture initially.

• Icantbelieveit
    Options

Fantastic news!

The travel pillow - already got one and I live up a flight of stairs so one of the YouTube channels also recommended a cane to assist in getting up them in the early days, got that too.

My D&C path said FIGO grade 1 also and my GYN oncologist told me that that is based on that particular tissue but the hysterectomy pathology along with the lymph node dissection will definitively stage it.

Tomorrow is my CT, so of course I will be continuously checking my medical record for the report from that in a day or two.