Prostate recurrence 6 years after radiation ADT

Options
A88M
A88M Member Posts: 22 Member
edited July 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

Found out my PSA is 70 ng/dl. PSMa Pet scan lymph nodes from pelvis to cervical. Pelvic bone Mets and L1 bone Mets. No organ involvement.

prescribed fermigan and abutamide. 51 years old. Do people go on disability with chronic ADT?

Comments

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 248 Member
    Options

No useful info, just wanted to say that that sucks. Hopefully the ADT will nut punch those mets. Full speed ahead.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 525 Member
    edited June 2023 #3
    Options

Wow sorry to hear that ..did you mean 70 ng/ml….if so that is extremely high..so did you have normal radiation treatment and hormone therapy and you were at age 45? Wow is there a reason why you did not have it removed. I was diagnosed at 57 and I regret not having it removed. I had radiation therapy and the booster called Breaky therapy. My original PSA was 7.8 and then it went down to 0.9 now it’s up to 1.7 and I just had a scan and I am having a relapse so I have appointments with the radiologist and with by top urologist to go over treatment options from what I understand that hormone therapy is the absolute last resort. Wow anyway, if you’d like to chat more about this, we wont bore everybody else you can private message me I wish you the best…… even though I had radiation therapy. There is a chance I can still have it removed which I think I might do this time ….i know radiation is. Not an option. I can only do it one time the body I guess can’t handle it. Hopefully we’ll get through this. As far as your question is whether going on disability, it depends what type of work you do. I know me I have a physical job there’s no way I’ll be able to do it. I would go on disability for sure. Your doctor probably would put you on it as well.

• A88M
    Options

I had a robotic prostatectomy, and my PSA never went down to zero then had radiation with ADT. My PSA went to zero now 6 years later it went to 70 ng/dl. I was taking supplemental testosterone. Stopped that a month ago and had fermagon two weeks ago now my PSA is 10 ng/dl. Will be starting Abiraterone this week/methylprednisolone this week. Would you do the chemo also?

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 525 Member
    Options

I’m a little bit confused I don’t know about the chemo thing so if you had your prostrate taken out how did you let it get so high up to 72 points is considered failing I have a reoccurrence after radiation I’m 62 my PSA was seven and it went down to 0.5 and now it’s 1.3 I’m hoping they can do something else but I hear those hormone treatments are not fun at all

• A88M
    Options

I did not have my PSA checked for 2.5 years. That is how it got so high. I thought I was cured. Obviously not. I wonder how fast I will drop to less than 0.2 ng/dl. From 70 to 10 in a month since stopping testosterone and 2 weeks on firmagon I am making good progress. The prognosis is better if PSA is less than 0.2 and the nadir is reached in greater than 7 months.

• A88M
    Options

I had a robotic prostatectomy, and my PSA never went down to zero then had radiation with ADT. My PSA went to zero now 6 years later it went to 70 ng/dl. I was taking supplemental testosterone. Stopped that a month ago and had fermagon two weeks ago now my PSA is 10 ng/dl. Will be starting Abiraterone this week/methylprednisolone this week. Would you do the chemo also?

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

PSA is usually expressed as ng/mL (in the medical literature)

70 ng/dl = 0.7 ng/mL; which is pretty low...

10 ng/dl = 0.1 ng/mL; even lower...

Confusing…

PS: I don't think that ADT is accepted for medical disability (in the USA).