Immunotherapy

Options

I am 58 years old male and diagnosed with Base of Tongue Cancer last month. After series of tests, the oncologist decided to treat me with 4 chemotherapy and then 33 radiation therapy combined with a mild chemo.

I heard about Immunotherapy that can help fight cancer. But some doctors said it is good and some said it is not necessary because side effect of Immuno is very bad, beside the cost if very very expensive.

Can any of you share about Immunotherapy please? Not about the cost but the effectiveness and side effects.

I need answers a.s.a.p.

Thank you very much.

Regards, Indra

Comments

• Shayrn
    Shayrn Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I just joined this network, so sorry my comment isn't "asap". I did want to tell you that my Oncologist is trying to get a specific Immunotherapy Drug approved by my Health Insurance to cover the cost for the treatment of my Endometrial Carcinosarcoma cancer.

There are a number of Immunotherapy drugs available and FDA approved, but each is specific to just a specific type of cancer, plus there's criteria to meet before giving it. I don't know if there's a Immunotherapy drug specific to your type of cancer or not. But Oncologists should know. My tumor had to be HER-2 positive (molecular testing), And had to be proven in trials that its effective against Endometrial Carcinosarcoma (which it was) before my Oncologist could use it. Also, some Immunotherapy Drugs are given if the cancer advances or recurs instead of in the initial therapy, so keep that in mind as you proceed through your therapy. And about side effects, different Immunotherapy drugs will have different side effects, like most drugs do. My Doctor said the potential of side effects with Tranzanuabab is less than most Chemotherapy drugs.

When I asked my First Oncologist about Immunotherapy for my cancer, he said he didn't bother with using Immunotherapy Drugs for treating cancer but gave no explanation why. I researched it myself, looking at a lot of studies (clinical trials) where they used it on my specific cancer--and it showed "superior results"! So I sought a second opinion and my New Oncologist , who was up to date on everything, actually told ME about the Immunotherapy treatment that can be used to treat my cancer before I asked.

Some Immunotherapy drugs (including Tranzanuabab) is now a Standard Recommendation by the NCCN to use for certain cancers, so it's a mainstream treatment in the right circumstances (the NCCN writes the National Guidelines for Oncologists to follow for the Treatment of all the different Cancers).

Hope this might help. And I give you the best of Good Wishes and Health ahead..