P16 s cell throat cancer

Options
seadog
seadog Member Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

7 radiations in , water tastes like acid any suggestions , what to drink . Can still swallow

Comments

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Ginger ale? Make it unfizzy (a little sugar, stir in glass)

Anything - soft? Strawberry banana milkshake?

• BertChen
    BertChen Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

When the mucosa kicks in, those fizzies will help break it down though...

Water is still fine for me. But for me, I prefer drinks at or near room temp since I've been going through this.

My last -35th - RAD is tomorrow.

The Dr says The Suck will start 3-7 days later 😢

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Dr is right, next 2 - 3 weeks WILL be bad. take care of your neck, ask Rad nurse about creams and dressings, they know the best!

Mine was horrible, but day by day, it slowly got easier

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

seadog welcome to the CSN H&N discussion board. This is a tough treatment to go through and you end up with a lot of changes most of them temporary. Try the recommendation the others have mentioned but in the long run, it is what you find works for you. It seems every person and case is different. Just experiment a lot with carbonated, non-carbonated, milk products, and plain water, try Gatorade if that works you will get potassium and electrolytes also.

Treatment is not enjoyable to go through but the tough time really starts right after treatment ends. I am posting some info below. Thick mucous is one of the worst things to deal with when you get towards the end of treatment.

Let me tell you about recovery from cancer treatment. The treatment itself is not too difficult but now the recovery is dealing with the effects of the treatment that got rid of cancer and the effects it has on the body.

Let me just tell you recovery from radiation and or radiation and chemotherapy is a slow process measured in weeks and months not days and weeks, such as having a cold or flu or something. If we have a bad cold let's say and we treat it and it resolves in a week then we pretty quickly start feeling better. This is not so with cancer treatment. But you will get better just in a slower process and it just requires patience which I would think you have because of what you went through with your accident. But with the two issues combined, I can see you are getting tired of it all and just want to get through it all. Depending on your particular case recovery could be longer or shorter but you should notice improvements in 2 to 8 weeks and from there on up to a year. Below is a quote from the American Cancer Society page.

It's very important to remember that every person reacts differently to treatment. Any side effect you might have depends on the type and location of cancer, the dose of radiation being given, and your general health. Some people have few or no side effects, while others have quite a few.

How long do side effects last?

Remember that the type of radiation side effects you might have depends on the prescribed dose and schedule. Most side effects go away within a few months of ending treatment. Some side effects may continue after treatment ends because it takes time for the healthy cells to recover from radiation.

Side effects might limit your ability to do some things. What you can do will depend on how you feel. Some patients are able to go to work or enjoy leisure activities while they get radiation therapy. Others find they need more rest than usual and can’t do as much. If you have side effects that are bothersome and affecting your daily activities or health, the doctor may stop your treatments for a while, change the schedule, or change the type of treatment you’re getting. Tell your cancer care team about any side affects you notice so they can help you with them.

Early and late effects of radiation therapy

• Early side effects happen during or shortly after treatment. These side effects tend to be short-term, mild, and treatable. They’re usually gone within a few weeks after treatment ends. The most common early side effects are fatigue (feeling tired) and skin changes. Other early side effects usually are related to the area being treated, such as hair loss and mouth problems when radiation treatment is given to this area.
    • Late side effects can take months or even years to develop. They can occur in any normal tissue in the body that has received radiation. The risk of late side effects depends on the area treated as well as the radiation dose that was used. Careful treatment planning can help avoid serious long-term side effects. It’s always best to talk to your radiation oncologist about the risk of long-term side effects.

Also here is a link about radiotherapy side effects you may experience and how to deal with them including the thick saliva.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/head-and-neck-cancer/side-effects-of-radiotherapy-for-head-and-neck-cancer

Also, everyone and everyones case is different and unique as to how large their cancer was and the area that it covered which would determine the amount and strength of radiation you would have gotten. Also, everyone recovers at a different pace unique to their situation.

I don't know how you feel now but you are probably tired and from your comment about your throat it is probably sore and you may be experiencing dry mouth and possibly some pain. Usually the worst problem I feel is thick mucous in your mouth. Thick to the point of being stringy and gagging you. If you can for now sleep and rest in a recliner because laying down sends the thick mucous to your throat causing problems. If you don't have one stay partially propped up in a bed. Eat if you can and keep your swallowing going. You can forget how to swallow if on a feeding tube. I had a speech therapist assigned to help watch over me in the process and she gave me swallowing exercises to do. Some folks feel that they want to avoid a feeding tube to keep the swallowing function going but many of us get to the point where we just can't swallow anymore for a while either due to swelling or pain or both and that is where the swallowing exercises come in to keep that function active and working. Some have refused the tube only to get it later because they just couldn't swallow for a while.

Thick mucous, you will probably have thick mucous for a while so stay ahead of it by spitting it out and rinsing as often as needed with a baking soda and salt recipe. It keeps your mouth cleaned out and it helps you feel better and refreshes your mouth from bad tastes, etc.

Pain, if you have pain work with your doctors and make sure you get pain meds to get you through this, and stay ahead of it. You may need to take pain meds on a schedule, say every six hours but don't wait till you have bad pain, and then take meds. Eventually, you will not need them.

Nutrition, get plenty of nutrition in preferably by eating but if that's not possible right now make sure you get plenty of calories and nutrition, and hydration through your feeding tube. It is important for your recovery. You may want to get some Boost VHC (Very High Calorie) to add in for now it has 530 calories per 8 ounce serving. I will post some recipes below for smoothies, etc.

These are just some suggestions for now feel free to ask any more you may have. i would like to add that prayer always helps during times like this.

I am posting the salt and baking soda recipes below and the recipes and smoothies mixes.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

Mouth Rinse Recipes to Use During Chemotherapy Radiation

Soda and Salt Mouth Rinse

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup of warm water

Mix well until salt dissolves. Rinse your mouth gently, being careful not to swallow the mixture. Follow this with a plain water rinse to clean out any remaining salt or soda.

Soda Mouth Rinse: A Good Rinse for Before You Eat

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup of warm water

Mix well to dissolve the baking soda. This is a good rinse to use before and after a meal because it may soothe any mucositis pain you have, making it easier for you to eat well. Swish and spit, but don't swallow this mixture.

Saltwater Mouth Rinse

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup of warm water

Mix well to dissolve the salt. This saltwater rinse is close to the natural chemistry of your own saliva. This may make mouth sores feel better. Rinse well with plain water to remove excess salt.

Salt and Soda Rinse for Gummy Mouth

Some chemotherapy drugs can increase the acidity in your mouth, leading to thick saliva that can be very annoying. This rinse works well for "gummy mouth."

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons baking soda

4 cups of warm water

This rinse will help to neutralize the acid in your mouth and will help dissolve or loosen thick, gummy saliva. Don't drink it, just rinse and spit it out.

Peroxide Rinse for Crusted Sores

If your mouth sores are crusting over, it's important to allow the natural healing process in your body to continue, so a peroxide rinse should be used for no more than two days consecutively.

1 cup hydrogen peroxide

1 cup water or

1 cup salt water (1 teaspoon of salt in 4 cups of water)

If you have crusty mouth sores, try using this rinse three or four times a day for two days. Don't use it for more than two days at a time, because it could prevent mucositis from healing.

Use a non-peroxide rinse for two days, before returning to this mixture.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

• BertChen
    BertChen Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

That mucosa is a tough sum-b. I'm on the last round of RAD, and today it feels like it is building up every 10 mins 😢

A buddy went through this a while back. He turned me on to S.Pellegrino as a rinse aid. I can tell you those bubbles really break down the mucosa well!

Just a thought to share...