Post Neph Pain

Options
fallonboy
fallonboy Member Posts: 46 Member
edited January 15 in Kidney Cancer #1

My right kidney was removed this past November. I still have some pain where the kidney was. When I twist certain way, or sneeze or cough I have a little pain. Is this unusual?

Comments

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Hi fallonboy - I had concerns like that all through at least my first year after an open partial nephrectomy. Abdomen would feel tight like a drum, scar felt like it might split - I imagined every horrible thing possible, but none of them were true. There are a lot of layers to heal, and it takes time, but that doesn't make it any less scary. From my experience and that of many others on the forum, those pains (and fears) will subside over time. Having said all that, definitely check in with your doc if something feels way out of the ordinary (or to have them tell you what "ordinary" is for you.) Know that even when we don't post very often, all of us are out here thinking (and praying for, in my case) of all our kidney peers. Take care ~

• fallonboy
    Options

My neph was by laparoscopic. Seems like it is getting a little worse not a little better.

• fallonboy
    Options

I have an appointment with my urol next week. I’ll put the pain on my list to talk to him about it. On the scale from one to 10 it’s about a three. I think he will order a CT….. as I recall.

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Glad to hear you are following up on this. Hope all is well. Take care ~

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi fallonboy, glad you're following up. I still have mild pain from time to time where my kidney was, I had my nephrectomy 7.5 years ago! But I do remember a lot of pain for the first year after surgery. All the best to you. 🙏