BRAVES FAN UPDATE

Options
BRAVESFAN
BRAVESFAN Member Posts: 14 Member
edited June 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello everyone

1st of all. Thank you for all the words of encouragement.

Met my new cancer doctor and learned a whole lot.

Also met with my surgeon and I am going to be in GREAT HANDS! I have surgery scheduled July 11th. It's is in my upper descending colon (sigmoid??) Which is better Than rectal I have learned. I am having a little under 2 feet removed. I was told won't know stage till after surgery. If stage 1 or 2 no chemo i was told. Going to try laprascopic but I might have too much scar tissue from previous surgery 35 years ago. But wanted to give me a heads up he might need to open me up. Hospital stay will be Tuesday thru Fri if no complications..

also if all goes well no bag...

I am out of work starting today to get myself ready and relax and get a few blood work things up to par..

My question is...

I have heard leaking? Can be an issue.. is there anything I can do to try and prevent that?

And how did y'all prepare?

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Leaking. Leaking from what? If you are not getting a bag - thank goodness, then I am thinking you might mean rectal leaking. I've heard of it, but never had it myself.

Depending on the type of surgery you get, laparoscopic or open, then you could get wound leakage. I don't think you mean that, though, as it sounds like you have had previous abdominal surgery, so you're a pro 😀.

I had open surgery, and my tumour was right down by the rectum. I remember that my first few bowel movements were like meconium, you know, the black stuff babies poop, when they are newborn. It was odd stuff, but nothing abnormal. If I remember correctly, I didn't have any bowel issues until chemo, then it all went to hell in a hay basket.

As far as preparation. Eat well and exercise. Abdominal exercises - nothing extreme, especially if you haven't exercised in a while, will certainly help. Lots of walking before and as soon after surgery as you can. No smoking - well, that is a given. If you want to try meditation, that was an absolute life saver for me, then and now. Learning to control yourself through meditation and breathing, it really is a winner. Beats anxiety meds, but for some, those too are necessary.

I am happy to hear that you have a date. It is all go from here.

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

I had a similar surgery, and like Tru, I have never heard of leaking as an issue.

I trained for surgery like an athletic competition, I figured I wanted to give myself the best chance. That is good food, as much exercise as possible, plenty of sleep, and I even gave up coffee and beer, two of my favorite things in the world.

For surgery, be sure to bring a bathrobe and slippers, as you will likely want to be up and walking the halls as soon as possible.

If you are able to avoid chemo, it would be great. Ninety-Five percent of my issues with colon cancer came from the chemo, the surgery was pretty straightforward and bearable.

Best of luck, and keep us updated.