Feeling came back!!!

Options
BeagleDad
BeagleDad Member Posts: 108 Member
edited June 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

[Left tonsil & lymph; HPV. Modified radical neck dissection (11/20), Cisplatin Chemo x7 and 33 radiation for 57 rads (1/21 - 2/21]

Something weird happened to me last night ... I was scratching that chronic itch under my left jaw and I FELT IT!!!!! Here we are some 2.5 years post surgery and I finally have feeling back in my jaw.

Something to note for others ... immediately postop I had lost feeling from my left ear all the way down to my Adam's Apple and under my jaw ..some of my lower left cheek. (This made shaving weird, but then the radiation fixed THAT! lol)

But I clearly remember a few months post Tx that my left ear was itching a lot ... scratching it did not help, nor could I feel the scratching..I could feel the pressure of scratching but it did nothing to resolve the itch. Then, at some point, I cannot remember when, I began to get feeling back in my ear. Then eventually my left cheek experienced the same thing..then feeling came back there.

But the area under my jaw was sort of different..it has been itching for MONTHS. I even bought a cheap soft-bristled hair brush to help with that. I often spoke wiht my wife talking about that itching and hoping that it meant the feeling would be coming back..but month after month; I finally resigned myself that it was just gonna be that way.

Then ..last night ... itching it like I always do, it just felt "different". So I grabbed a pencil and started poking myself and noticed I could actually feel that! Now, to be fair, it is not ALL the feeling, but no longer do I just feel the pressure of the touch, I can actually tell there is touching. I am sure this will get "better" day after day.

But I wanted to share this for others that have gone through or will go through the modified radical neck dissection.

And a big HELLO out there to all my "old friends" here! And to those new ones... stick around; THIS is the place to be while you go through your cancer experience. Keep sharing and never ever give up.

--Don (beagledad)

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hi, Don glad to see you checking in and also with news of improvement. So glad you are getting some feeling back. I am in your situation which you were in whereby my left ear as you say feels like it has an itch but when you try to scratch it you feel nothing and it is numb. Thanks for the information of your improvement and it gives hope to others that even years later you had changes and to keep hope and not give up.

Wow, Don is it two and a half years already since your treatment, my how time flies. It just doesn't seem like it was that long already. Very good and I hope you are doing well and thriving.

Good to hear from you

Take care, God Bless-Russ

• BeagleDad
    Options

Thanks, Russ. Yeah, it still seems like just last week when I was going through Tx. Hope you and all the others are doing well. Stay safe and keep on helping folks !!

Don

• BeagleDad
    Options

I should add ..... I do not know what, if any, affect this has had on my various recoveries ..BUT .... My oncologist told me two things when I got done with initial Tx: Keep moving and take zinc.

I walk 3 miles per day 5 days per week (1.5 mi to work and 1.5 back) and take zinc every day.

And my blood work has impressed even the oncologist (I used to go every 3 months and now he has extended that to 6). Everything except lymphocytes and WBC (for obvious reasons) has been in the normal range for over 2 years.

I know I am fortunate; some folks have much different recovery discussions. I do not take this lightly..but I do like to share for others so they know it CAN happen. Have I accelerate or assisted this by moving and taking zinc? HellifIknow, but I ain't stopping either!!! LOLOL

Don (Beagledad) 2 yr survivor