mTNBC - newbie

Options
Sadiej
Sadiej Member Posts: 138 Member

Sorry this is so long...

I am a 66yo who has just been diagnosed with mTNBC. Funny, it has been ten years since my last cancer treatment for a ductal carcinoma in my other breast. The sentinel node was clear. Now I'm dealing with a polymorphic cancer that has "exploded" in my other breast and has metastasized to my lymph nodes. My breast MRI shows two other "possible" areas as well, one on/near the thyroid and one on the sternum. My DNA test came back with normal BRCA type genes. I am planning on getting a double mastectomy, hoping I would never get the rug pulled out from under me again if I just got rid of them entirely.

Of concern is the research I have done on this that explains that the mTNBC may still be in my system as small unrecognizable microbes that can refire up in my future. Well, d*mn, I thought my double mastectomy would have been enough. I definitely don't want to go through chemo this time (I'm doing it for my husband and daughter) because of all the damage (and pain) to my body from the last time. I can't imagine any good reason to go for round 3 or 4 or 5 of this cancer. Considering that and the total lifetime allowable toxicity levels from my chemos may not allow for it anyway.Who knows.

I don't know how I will proceed after this. I may just buy an RV and live it up. I am in pain everyday since my last chemo... what will this one do to me? I have already spoken these thoughts to my oncologist so she understands how hard this is for me. I also know that in heaven there is no pain, not that I'm going to do anything crazy y'all LOL.

Anyway those are my thoughts at present. I will go through with this (chemo/immunotherapy/radiation with a double mastectomy). Just don't think I would do it a third time.Can anyone else relate to this? I know I'm nothing special so I'm hoping someone else can say "yeah, been there done that."

Thanks for bending an ear.

Comments

• Sadiej
    Sadiej Member Posts: 138 Member
    Options

This conversation continues in the blog named "Choices"