Cancer Scare

Options
Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
edited July 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

After NINE years NED, I had a Cancer scare.

My tail bone has become prominent and painful, and my White Blood Count tanked. I thought for sure the Cancer had spread to the bone.

I tried my best to ignore it for a few months, but it got so bad, I had to go and visit my Oncologist, who examined me and ordered an MRI and blood work.

Thankfully, all turned out well, but it was a fraught few months, that is for sure.

I am not a person who would ever say 'Cancer Free', because I have known too many friends here, who have had recurrence after many years. I do not ever want to get complacent.

So, next month I celebrate 10 years out of treatment and next year - if all goes well, 10 years NED.

My sister passed away last month from Ovarian Cancer.

Tru

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Ya, its always on your shoulder for sure!

I am glad you got it checked out.

So sorry to hear about your sister!

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

It is good to hear that it was not cancer. Congratulations on your upcoming ten-year anniversary.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Happy to hear it wasn’t cancer. So sorry to hear of your sisters passing.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Hi Tru,

Glad that it was only a scare. May you be NED forever. I hope you have a celebration planned for your 10 year anniversary.

Condolences on your sister's passing, it is so difficult to lose the ones we love.

all the best

Pam

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

I am so sorry for your loss Tru, and I hope your pain starts to ease.

I am also sorry to hear about the cancer scare and glad it turned out to be nothing. There is never a time we can ever rest with this. Each thing may be a problem. We never know. I thought my back pain was a little bit more the last month or so, and indeed one of the buggers in my spine decided to wake up again..

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Glad to hear this. I guess the rest of our lives we will be suspect of every bump, ache, pain or change. It almost gets scarier as you go because you no longer have regular scans. My last scan is scheduled for August. After that just annual office visits. Scarier because symptoms can be anything.

Good luck as always

K

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2023 #8
    Options

Glad to hear it's not the scary stuff Sue, and I'm very sorry about your sister. We definitely stay on high alert about body changes, and suspect things from poop to pains, even 10 years past, I'm sure. I still meet with the onc. twice a year for a very short chat, as much over the weather as my good health. I keep that meeting to keep the blood panel happening, so I can read my own numbers for the liver, kidneys, blood, and that devil known as the CEA test. There's too many stories brought here, of 8-13 year nedness, suddenly ending, with a now chronic fight for the duration of one's life, for any survivor to be letting their guard down. Plus, getting older comes with more health and mobility battles to endure, and losses we have to absorb, and carry on with. Learning mindfulness, meditation, etc. wasn't just to cope with cancer, but to cope with life as a mortal being, which guarantees hardships . I know you know all this, but some newbie may need to read it, and take it to heart, hence my repetitious nature. Stay strong, you've hit some hard bumps lately, things that would rattle anyone, and still you make it back here to support some very newly frightened, uncertain people, which is classy stuff, in a world with so many who don't want to be reminded of their own scary times, or deal with another's fearful drama.............................Dave

• BerniceOB
    BerniceOB Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I lost my dad last year to pancreatic cancer while my husband had finally gotten his NED after his year long battle with stage 4 colon cancer. It was the hardest time in my life. My 2 favourite people battling this horrible disease.

I had always been carefree prior to my husband and dad getting sick. I’m changed forever now but I appreciate the little things more. And I appreciate perfect strangers like yourself that give hope to people and have perfect strangers like myself rooting for you and others.

You have been an inspiration for me and my husband as he was battling his cancer. That was something that we needed badly as we were going through our toughest days. so thank you for sharing your story and for continuing to share.

I am SO glad to hear that you are okay. Congratulations on your 10 year. Thank you for continuing to update us on this site. I don’t come on here very often but when I do, I always look forward to seeing your posts and I hope to see them for many many years to come.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Bernice, it is so good to hear from you, though I am saddened to hear that your dad passed away. Damn that Cancer! It takes life from those who should still live, and leaves devastation in its wake, with loved ones grieving.

I am happy to hear that your hubby is NED. I don't need to tell you to run, run, run with it. Enjoying every moment of life, and the love that will just get stronger and stronger, especially for the battle you have both fought together.

Cyber hugs are heading your way.

Tru

• MandiePandie
    MandiePandie Member Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Congrats on 10 years NED. I'm sorry for your recent scare and your recent loss. Thank you for all that you contribute to this group.