CT scan shows something on liver

Options
sandybrooks4
sandybrooks4 Member Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Its been two years since my colectomy and completion of chemo for stage 2b CRC. This morning my 6 month CT scan showed a spot on my liver that the radiologist labeled "probable metastasis of previous cancer".

Anyone else had this? Next step is PET scan next week. I'm trying to remain optomistic that this is something completely unrelated and benign but I'm extremely fearful at this point.

Comments

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited June 2023 #2
    Options

Sorry for the worries. We all hope it's a false alarm but...

There are positive steps you can take in the mean time.

You can gather more biological information yourself, like better blood testing, and chemically/immunologically improve your defenses against further metastasis. We found it possible to out perform standard methods, partly by filling in idle/wasted time areas (e.g. the weeks running up to or after surgery, or waiting on scans with more information and chemistry.)

Also there are substantial curative options for liver mets these days.

Can you tell us about your current and previous CEA history?

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Sorry you are in this situation. In my experience, CT scans and their interpretation are notoriously unreliable. Nothing will likely make you feel better before you have solid information, but realize the read of the CT scan is probably not a reliable diagnosis.

• Gram2020
    Gram2020 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Good morning. I’ve been cancer free for 4 years. Had stage 2/3 colon cancer. I’ve been through this same thing in the last week, and I’ll be going back to that place called “treatment.” My CEA went from 3 to 13 in between 6 months bloodwork. Sent for ct.. saw the same spot on my liver that I had 4 years ago that was very small, and indeterminate. It’s grown. Had PET scan… it lit up…had a biopsy.. it’s positive for Colon cancer metastasis. Found out yesterday. I’m waiting for word from surgeon as surgery is first, and my Oncologist says likely 6 months of IV chemo. I’m scared, I wonder if it’s possible that surgery could just take it, and I wouldn’t have to have chemo? I know you’re scared. I am too. Try to stay positive and hopefully we both will get some advice here. God Bless🌸

• sandybrooks4
    Options

My bloodwork has been posted to my portal today. My CEA has been 1.3 ever since surgery in 2021. Yesterday's reading is 6.9. I'm taking this as a very bad sign.

• sandybrooks4
    Options

How large is the spot on your liver? My oncologist indicated mine is "very small" but didn't give me exact measurements.

• Gram2020
    Options

Not sure if you’re asking, but my tumor is 1.8 cm. I’m not worried so much about surgery, but definitely scared of chemo again. Dr says 5fu, and hasn’t mentioned anything else because it depends on how surgery goes.

• sandybrooks4
    Options

I agree, surgery for me was not bad at all but I had xeloda with oxaliplatin for chemo and it was HORRIBLE. I have nerve damage and kindney damage as a result and if I have to do chemo again, it will be something different. My doctor indicated yesterday that more than likely, just surgery but we won't know for sure until after the PET scan and possibly biopsy.

• sandybrooks4
    Options

CEA has been 1.3 ever since surgery but yesterday increased to 6.9. I'm terrified.

• Gram2020
    Options

Mine has been under 2.0 since original cancer was found… never really changed. Now it’s at 13.0…but I think 1.8 tumor size is on the smaller side. I had oxaliplatin 4 years ago with chemo and had a horrible reaction to it.. Dr lowered doses, and eventually stoped that drug. She’s saying I would start that again, and offered no other choices yet…” we’ll see how surgery goes”. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Surgery takes it out right??🤷🏻‍♀️😕 I want choices. Kaiser doesn’t have those…

• sandybrooks4
    Options

Praying for both of us that this can be handled with only surgery!

• Gram2020
    Options

They give you the same cocktail you get for a colonoscopy. You’re on your back in the ct…They line you up with most recent ct and numb you( by now you’re groggy) You are required to follow breathing instructions, and not move. A needle is inserted to take biopsy samples. It is a bit uncomfortable, but really over pretty quickly. You meant the process right??😜 IF you meant the turnout, it’s from the original colon cancer. No other info. I have a phone appt with surgeon on Monday, and I’m praying he’s got some compassion. My last surgeon saved me, but was TERRIBLE at any kind of bedside manner… he got really irritated with me for asking him questions…not nice. I’m praying 🙏 for both of us. Let’s compare notes!!!😉

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Hello.

I am late to the thread, and wanted to tell you that I had a spot on my liver, that stayed stable throughout chemo, and they decided it was a cyst. Your spot 'could' be a cyst, but now I see your CEA has risen, so it may be a growth.

I had a 2.0 tumour in my liver, and my surgeon decided to do a Microwave Thermal Ablation. That was in 2014, which by my calculations, is nine years ago, so it worked. I did not have to have adjuvant chemo.

Be sure that your ask many questions. Ask about an Ablation. Yours is small enough that it would qualify, it all depends on where the growth is, in the liver.

Let us know how things go.

Tru

• sandybrooks4
    Options

Was the biopsy bad?

So I had my PET scan yesterday and my tumor lit up so I have been given a referral to a surgeon. My oncologist believes that surgery will be the only treatment needed as there are no other spots that showed up at all on either scan. The tumor is 19x15 mm so relatively small.

• Trubrit
    Options

I did not have a biopsy, they went straight in and did the Ablation. Be sure to talk to your surgeon about your options, especially the Ablation, as it is way easier than a resection.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2023 #17
    Options

Hi, I had it come twice to my liver, 2+ years in intervals. The first was 3 separate spots on my liver, then another single one near where one had been before. Each time, the largest or one met was 3+cm. No chemo was indicated or offered after either resection. That was 8+ years ago......................................Dave

• sandybrooks4
    Options

Just heard from the surgeon and the earliest I can get in to see him is 7/5. Three weeks seems like an eternity at this point. I don't have any idea how fast growing this tumor is and how quickly it can spread. I've reached out to my oncologist and all I got from them is "the surgeon is aware of the urgency of the situation".

I really appreciate all the responses I've received from everyone here! Thank you all so much!!!

• Trubrit
    edited June 2023 #19
    Options

I had to wait two weeks for my surgery. My Oncologist told me that little would happen to the tumour in such a short period of time. Use this time, to eat nothing but healthy, and exercise - which of course, you may already be doing.

Keep yourself busy, to try - yes, try is all we can do, and take your mind off of the future, and live in the day.

I am glad that you have a date, though.

Tru