Nervous

Options
BRAVESFAN
BRAVESFAN Member Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi I just joined today. I'm in my early fifties and I've been diagnosed with colon cancer 2 days ago ... i have had absolutely no system..needless to say I'm nervous. I'm scared I just lost my husband of 33 years to covid. I have 2 sons 3 grandbabies. Why do I have to wait so long to get scans? They're making me wait 2 weeks? And then what happens I? Don't know what stage it is or anything. I just want it out of me. Does that make sense?

When should I file at work? Will I be ok? Just don't have my Soulmate to guide me through

Comments

• BRAVESFAN
    BRAVESFAN Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Not sure if any of this makes sense

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

I recall the same moments and feelings when I turned 49 and found out a few months later that I had colon cancer, during a sigmoidoscopy, on my late wife's birthday. The doctor managed get another doc to do my full colonoscopy, on his normal lunch break, in another city. Scared was putting it mildly, since I was planning all sorts of fun for Cindy, not expecting to run in fear, to places for testing and appointments, knowing the mass first seen was "large, old, and crusty". We didn't even have insurance, as work slowed before and in 2007, and I missed the high health payments we were paying. Bad choice. The scans took about that long,two weeks, the colectomy surgery was 4 weeks later. Nobody tells you how to cope with that time, how to work and function, how to even sleep decently. You have to go through a crash course of slowing your mind down, focusing on the immediate tasks at hand, and not running 'worst case scenarios' through your mind, over and over. Read on mindfulness, living in the moment, and meditation. Don't read statistics, sad stories or watch movies about cancer. Get out and walk, or work yourself until you're tired, it lessens the emotions and thoughts that are at you constantly. Somewhere in all those appointments someone asked if I wanted a script for some Xanax, that helped a lot, early on, as well. Best of luck with your outcome.........................Dave

• Seywankawosi
    Seywankawosi Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

hi lovely.

i taking care of a mom suffering colon cancer for almost 5 years. we recognized the cancer in it's metastatic level spreaded to long and abdomen. we thought it is over and we are going to see her buried . but we started. fast and no time killing. chemo was miracle. after 12 session she was candidate for surgery. we even couldn't believe such a thing . for now , however she has some bone metastatic noodles, but we keep going with her. we even didn't let her know about her cancer until 3 months ago for a very heavy surgery HIPEC . i was to tell you that, time is the key here. one day is one day! just try to persuade them about your situation. i don't know about rules in your country, but in my own the system understand the situation. so, be strong, keep going, plan for that, and don't let it take you down. we don't know how long will she survive, but we are all strong to the last minute and enjoy being together as a family.

good luck as i am sure you would be.❤️💪

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options

(In the US and many countries) You can demand the scans immediately from the scan center. Frankly, anything over 1-2 business days should be viewed punitatively.

We have found a lot of overlap between cancer and Covid preparations off label, including bigger vitamin D3 pills, IV vitamin C, potassium tablets, ivermectin, quercetin and zinc.

• walkvi22
    walkvi22 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I’m sorry. It’s a very scary thing to deal with. I was stage 1 in 2017 at ague 48 then stage 4 last year. I’m on chemo for life and not a surgery candidate but the chemo is keeping it stable for now

it’s important to have a support system while your dealing with this. Even if u need to see a counselor , because it does affect mental health for many.

take a deep breath and be your own advocate for health care. Even if it means calling your insurance, because believe me the insurance companies are a pain in the ****.

let us know how your doing.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

When you are first diagnosed, it is really scary. So many unknowns. Once you get a plan of action, it really helps, but of course, you have to have the scans and tests and Doctor's visits. It is a game of wait and see, and the wait, no matter how long or short, seems unbearable.

I hope you have had your scans and are on your way to finding out what you can do to fight the beast.

Be sure to let us know, so we can help you on this journey.

And my sincere condolences on the loss of your husband.

Tru

• mosul3504
    mosul3504 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

First, deepest condolence on the passing of your husband; I cannot imagine having to cope with your diagnosis after such a terrible loss. While it is hardly the same thing, my wife was living in another state on military orders when I was diagnosed, at age 46, with what turned out to be Stage II colon cancer. Fortunately she was able to come home for surgery and most of my chemo treatments; however, remember that it was still an incredible challenge to face the immediate fear, anxiety, uncertainty, anger, and every other attendant emotion alone. As I went through my treatment, and now as my wife battles Stage IV rectal cancer, we held fast to the adage that no one fights alone. Family, our friends, our care teams, even random strangers on this forum stand with and behind you, so even when you feel alone please know that you absolutely are not! I have every confidence that you will be spending time with your children and grandchildren for MANY years to come!

Hang in there and we're with you!