Seeking Advice on Chemotherapy Treatment and Stomach Pain

Options
CancerWarrior_23
CancerWarrior_23 Member Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello Everyone,

I am writing to seek your valuable advice and insights regarding my brother's current medical situation. We live outside of the United States and have some doubts about the medical staff at the hospital where he is receiving treatment. This is why we are reaching out to you for help.

My brother is a 36-year-old male diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer. He has recently completed the first cycle of his chemotherapy treatment, which consists of FOLFOX and bevacizumab. Along with this treatment, he has been prescribed the following medications:

Megamox 625 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) - 3 tablets daily

Zoron 8 mg (Zofran / Ondansetron) - 2 tablets daily

Nexium 20 mg (Esomeprazole) - 2 tablets daily

Premosan 10 mg (Metoclopramide) - 2 tablets daily

Laxal (Sennosides) 12 mg - 2 tablets daily

Despite taking these medications, my brother has been experiencing strong stomach pain, particularly after eating. It is worth noting that prior to starting the first cycle of chemotherapy, he took four tablets of Dexamethasone 0.5 mg, which seemed to alleviate the stomach pain. But, he is currently not taking Dexamethasone.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, or questions you may have to help my brother better understand his situation and potentially find relief from this stomach pain. If there are any additional details you think would be helpful to know, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you in advance for your time, expertise, and understanding.

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Stomach pain is not rare with chemo. To be honest, drinking baking soda mixed in water is what helped me the most in chemo, but certainly everyone is different. For me, nexium causes problems, but prilosec helps. Augmentin (Megamox) is well known to cause stomach issues. It might be a time to deal assertively with the doctors, self-advocacy is often essential. Also, jockeying around the supplemental meds might provide some relief. But also to some degree, stomach pain is part of the program. Good luck with these issues.

• CancerWarrior_23
    CancerWarrior_23 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing your tips! we will try the baking soda mix and talk to my doctor. we will make sure to speak up for my needs too. I appreciate the support and good luck wishes!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Sandia hit it on the nose. Pain, while expected is not always necessary, and making sure that his Oncologist knows about his stomach pain - in fact, make sure he knows about EVERYTHING - is the best way to go.

When I was going through treatment, I would take a list in with me, it had every single thing that I was experiencing, from the sublime to the ridiculous. It didn't take more that two visits before my Onc knew that he wasn't getting in and out without hearing me though.

I wish your brother the best. He is a lucky man to have his sister by his side, and hopefully others, to help him through.

Tru