Help with advice

CS123
CS123 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello CSN!

I was diagnosed recently with colon cancer. I was wondering if there are any survivors who had successful comfortable colon surgery and if there any surgeons that you worked with that you would recommend. I live in Pennsylvania. Thank you for your help!

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

Hi CS123. The large majority of people on this board have had colon surgery, and our experiences differ, as for me, the surgery was not too bad, it was actually chemo that presented me with the most challenges. You have not mentioned your predicted staging, surgery method, or location of the tumor, all of which affect things. I would not label the surgery as "comfortable," but it is certainly bearable and the recovery for me was relatively quick. Best of luck to you in your upcoming challenges.

• CS123
    CS123 Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello,

Thank you so much for your message.

Best,

CS123

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Hello and welcome to the forum - I am late to the party, and you may have already had your surgery.

If you are still looking at surgery, my biggest bit of advice is for you to be eating well and exercising. A strong, healthy body will recover allot faster.

If surgery is over and done with, my biggest bit of advice is for you to be eating well and exercising. A strong, healthy body will recover allot faster.

Yeah, one and the same. Even going into chemo and or radiation, a healthy body is your friend.

A healthy body and a healthy mind - mind set. I think that is what helped me through, along with this forum and all of the friends I have made on here.

Good luck as you move forward in your journey.

Tru

• 73SueS73
    73SueS73 Member Posts: 5 Member

I had colon cancer surgery 23 years ago. The recovery is no to bad. It took me about 2 months to feel better and around 2 years to really feel myself. I had a resection done. Hope this helps. Sending you lots of 🤗

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member

I think my experience is the minority, but a third of my colon was resected on April 1, I was discharged April 4, and I mowed my lawn with a self-propelled mower on April 7.

I had orders not to lift greater than 10 pounds so I mulched instead of using the bag. Right after my surgery when they finally let me walk as much as I wanted (they said activity would help the recovery), I walked all over that hospital with my brother accompanying me handling the rolling pole that held the equipment monitoring my vitals. Because of that movement, my bowels started working sooner than anticipated, and I was blessed to have a quick recovery. It was not as difficult as the experience of many of the true warrior heroes on this site.

To be clear - I had laparoscopic surgery. I am sure the recovery from traditional surgery will be far different. To a great extent it is what it is. But you are not ordained to have an unpleasant recovery any more than you are promised to have an easy one. In any event, the very best to you

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 715 Member

What surgeon did you settle on?