Biotene products hard to find

Paulaassad
Paulaassad Member Posts: 4 *
edited March 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

For those of us who suffer from dry mouth from our cancer treatments, rely on saliva substitutes . I have been using the Biotene products for over twelve years. Now I can't find it and if I do, retailers

are asking high prices for it. I just ordered a new gel product. Hoping this will work. I use it when I go to bed so my mouth does not go dry while sleeping. It is a shame that retailers are taking advantage of the Biotene products low supply. Which in turn effects us with dry mouth. I wish they would have to live one day with dry mouth.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member

Paula, I use Xylimelts at night for dry mouth. They are a sort of lozenge or tablet you put in your mouth and it dissolves slowly. One side is colored a different color. You are to put that against your gum or tooth and it will adhere and stick thus avoiding swallowing it or getting it stuck in your throat while sleeping. Sort of a safety feature. Give them a try and you can use them anytime not just at night.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ

• Paulaassad

Russ,

Thank you for replying. Will try that product out.

• jenzed
    jenzed Member Posts: 6 Member

I had to buy on Amazon, but they have most of the products.

• Paulaassad

I looked on Amazon and the price is four times higher than what Walmart sells it for. I did contact Glaxo Smith Kline who makes Biotene. I did buy a different brand that sold two tubes of gel for $14. Who knows, I may find it works better. Thank you for responding.

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 120 Member

Just a thought... our Medicare Advantage Plan for this year includes a quarterly Over-the-Counter benefit. One of the options is Biotene. Some folks might have this option in their 2023 plan, and maybe they haven't checked it out yet for 2023.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member

Very good folks, I have been getting mine from vendors on eBay and they are running at $11.50 right now with free shipping. ProustLover, good to see you. Our medicare plan has the benefit also with CVS products. There is also a generic form of the Xylitol discs at CVS called "Dry Mouth Discs" Glad to see a bunch of active people here, Paula, Jen, Proust, hope you folks have a wonderful evening.

Take Care, God Bless-Russ