Scared of liver lesions

Options
Faith Helen
Faith Helen Member Posts: 21 Member

Well, after weeks and weeks of pressure and fear, the unknown liver lesions have been definitively diagnosed as benign cysts! The liver MRI turned up 4, not 2....but my relief is permeating every cell in my body :) There are no words.

One weird and concerning part of this is that it took until NOW for my PET scan from January 2022 to be thoroughly read and interpreted. When my new oncologist called me with the liver MRI results, she looked back at the PET from 13 mos ago (done somewhere else and for my lungs, not liver) and saw that the liver "cysts" were clearly visible then - and were not lighting up like cancer. So that radiologist and oncologist didn't note the presence of benign lesions, the radiologist who read my chest CT in January this year looked at the PET but didn't note the liver lesions....all of which made their presence now seem NEW and potentially alarming. My doc now tells me that the fact the lesions are over a year old, looked benign then and haven't changed in a year means they are "stable" and we are done with this particular roller coaster ride.

My takeaway is to ASK about older imaging and not assume the docs are reviewing everything!! Boy, it would've softened a very, very hard time for me. It's always a new day though!

Comments

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Just read this. So happy for your good news!