71 year old discovered renal cell carcinoma incidentally

Options
ladysilky
ladysilky Member Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi, this is my first post, but I’ve been reading everyone’s experiences. My cancer was found by accident(thank God). I’m told my 5.3x 4.3 mass at the lateral aspect of the upper pole is at stage 1. I am scheduled for surgery at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa Florida on the 27th of the month. It will be a total removal of kidney because of its location. It will be done laparoscopically. I’m so anxious and frightened. I’ve never had surgery. I was wondering about pain and recovery. I have well controlled diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease. The doctors keep telling me I will be fine with one kidney. I’m very active and I am so frightened that I will be limited energy wise. This whole experience is nerve wracking. I’m told I will be in hospital 3 days. Would love to hear any information you can share.

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Welcome, Ladysilky.

Every one of us remembers the feelings that you're having. Hearing you have cancer really can knock you on your butt. A point to remember...all of what you are feeling is perfectly normal.

I had a partial robotic laparoscopic nephrectomy and I was home the day after surgery. I want to point out that I was a very active 46 year old at the time so that probably contributed to my quick turn-around. In recovery, I listened very closely to my doctor's directions, but more importantly, I listened to what my body was telling me.

Don't worry too much about pain. The hospital will set you up with proper medications to help with that. I can remember only taking the narcotic the hospital gave me once or twice after I was discharged. I then could tolerate the pain with over the counter pain meds.

At the top right of your screen is a magnifying lens-looking thing. Click on that and search "full laparoscopic recovery". You'll have access to a lot of information that should help you with recovery.

Again, welcome. Keep us posted and ask if you have questions.

Wishing you only the best!

Stub

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Welcome Ladysilky! Stub is right, the pain is well tolerated with medication. I also think that walking as much as you are able will help too, even while you are in hospital. Let us know how it goes! 🙏

• ladysilky
    Options

Thank you for your support and information. I’ve been trying each day to do 30 minutes of stretch exercises and started walking. I too, am a very active 71 year old. I will look into the search you mentioned.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Hi, Ladysilky. I was 68 when I had a full laparoscopic nephrectomy for a 7 cm intruder.. Unlike you, I was flabby and out of shape. I am also diabetic, fairly mild and usually controlled in the target range. I did just fine - one night in the hospital post-op, sent home the next day as soon as I was walking and could pee. I was quite sore for a few days, but improved rapidly, and I was walking the level trail in my favorite park the next week.

One thing I wish I'd done was get a pair of farmer-style overalls to wear during recovery when I went out, since the incision areas stayed tender for a while. Since overalls don't have a waist, they'd be perfect.

Good luck!

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

I was a bit younger than you when first Dx'd-age 64. But will be 80 next month. I had a full radical for Stage 4. Large tumor in R. Kidney and tumor in left lobe of liver plus positive nodes, too.

You know how to eat well to control the Diabetes, which is a step ahead of many people. Plenty of fluids to keep things flushing out, walking for exercise-it keeps muscles moving and the bowels functioning well. I was active, also. Just do what you can as your body heals. I also had a congenitally defective gall bladder and duct removed, so my digestion was difficult and developed pancreatitis. After that healed with meds, it was full speed ahead. I started driving the following week, exercising in the pool at 6 weeks, and was back in the garden soon after. My endurance was not so fast to return, so I'd go to work and go home early if I needed to.

Your dr. will monitor your EGFR and Creatinine. My EGFR with one kidney and my age has me about 33-33 at the most. I am seeing a Nephrologist at this time, along with my Int. Meds Doc, and yearly checks with Onc.

You'll need to watch your Potassium intake, eat plenty of lean protein. And don't take NSAI'ds (Advil, Aleve) as they are processed by the Kidney. Ibuprofen is processed in the liver and is OK for pain/headache.

Laparascopic surgery is still surgery. They will inflate your abdomen with gas and that has to dissapate. Sometimes it makes your shoulder sore as it goes to the top as you sit up. They must cut through and spread every layer of skin, facia, muscle and tissue, prod and poke a bit, and then stitch you back together. You will be sore. Not eating prior to surgery and then waking up the gut may make you gassy and have the farts. It's a small price to pay to get cancer out of your body. ( I had had 2 lap surgeries when I was younger-1 to have my tubal ligation and another exploratory to find out what all my "female" problems were. Plenty, so had a Total Abd. Hysterectomy.)

I'm definitely not and authority on all of this, but probably could answer some questions. And yes, the surprise of having someone say, "You have a mass in your kidney," comes as a big SHOCK! I had no kidney symptoms, and thought maybe I had a gall stone, which is why my brand new (to me)Dr. ordered an US. The morning I was told, I was due at the High School to be a business owner/manager conducting mock interviews with senior students.

So pull up your big girl panties, and get on with life. You can do it.

donna_lee

• ladysilky
    Options

Thank you Donna. You encourage me to be brave. There is so much more in life ahead of me. My anxiety level has definitely decreased with listening and talking with others. I have a wonderful husband who is my rock. I am blessed in many ways. Blessed that this intruder was found by accident and blessed with so many loving people around me. This site lets me see real people going through what I am going through. I can’t thank you all enough

Ladysilky