Ileostomy reversal

CiscoKitty
CiscoKitty Member Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I am having my ileostomy reversed on Jan 24th. I no longer have a rectum. I have read nightmare stories of the reversal and was wondering if I could get some feedback here. I have had my ileostomy since Oct 11, 2022 so almost 3 months.

I think the number one worry is diarrhea and having to live on the toilet. I hope my surgeon keeps me on Loperamide to help with that.

Just a short story of how it went for you and what you did would help me immensely.

I just wished that I would have been chatting on here from the start but for the most part I have had a relatively good experience.

Comments

• sew322
    sew322 Member Posts: 1 *

hey hope you are well.How did it go?

• CiscoKitty
    CiscoKitty Member Posts: 2 Member

It’s been touch and go. I’m 10 days post op and have to remember that. I’ve had diarrhea for multiple hours and thought I would never make it. I decided to take Loperamide and that helped. My doctor took it off my medication list but I think as maintenance. It helped and the relief was all I could take.

Every day is touch and go. Lots of nausea and abdominal cramping. Not able to do much.

I hate this not knowing how my new life is going to be. It’s scary to think about.

Thanks for asking.