Stem Cell Transplant

Options
Rosiedoch
Rosiedoch Member Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2023 in Multiple Myeloma #1

Hi All. My husband was diagnosed in August 2022 with MM. After 5 sessions of velcade/Dex and Revlamid we are 2 weeks away from a stem cell transplant. They say he's a good candidate, but I am so scared he won't make it through. Has anyone had this done, know someone who has gone through this? 😕 It's been a tough time and this next stage of his treatment is making me more anxious then the last.

Comments

• dakemo
    dakemo Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

My mom was diagnosed (MM) in 2000 and had an autologous stem cell transplant. She passed last week of a lung infection and other complications unrelated to cancer. She beat it and I’m so grateful she chose to fight. Wishing you the best.

• Rosiedoch
    Options

Thank you! It’s day 39 and so far the worst has been his hair loss ☺️I’m hoping to get as many years as you got with your mom. ❤️

• nubie03
    nubie03 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I am 6 weeks away from my stem cell transplant. I feel scared, mostly because of the unknown. We had a long conversation with my transplant nurse, which helped but my mind at ease. I have also been reading a book "Autologous Stem Cell Transplant" by Susan Stewart which has some very useful information.

• Daystar
    Daystar Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I'm at day 51 and feeling great. My transplant went well and I only spent two weeks in the hospital. It's a challenge going through this but if your transplant team is supportive then that goes a far way in alleviating your anxiety. Keep strong, you will be fine.

• cs60
    cs60 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Its ok to be anxious, my husband was so worried the whole time during my transplants. Add to the fact it was during covid, he was on overdrive.

Just do the things they tell you at the hospital, keep germs away, try to get him to eat as much as he can and drink even more if he can. I got fluids most every day, and the transplant people were awesome. They will tell you anything you need to know.

My advice- take the anti nausea drugs around the clock, wake him up to give them. I went back to the hospital each night to get them in my port- which i think was helpful. Just do what they tell you and you will be fine. There is no perfect way to get though this but you will get through.

It was 10 weeks from the chemo day- and I felt better. so keep that goal in mind!! He will be in remission then and its worth that!!

Also, I was so scared of the retrieval- more than I was of the chemo- and it really wasnt that bad at all!! I had that built up in my head so much.

You can get grocery delivery, door dash, etc so you dont have to leave if you dont have a backup,

Good Luck!

• sandra1993
    sandra1993 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Hello! It sounds like we are both wives who are at the beginning point of this journey (my husband has about another 8 weeks of the initial treatment phase before he will have his transplant). I understand the feelings your having and the fear. One thing that has helped me is knowing this is the best option for giving him the most years and quality of life. As hard as it is, we have to put our trust in the experts in this field that they will do everything possible to have a successful transplant process and aftercare.

I have been doing a lot of reading and research which has helped me address my concerns. There's so much information and support out there. Please continue to share your concerns with others on this forum. I'm a huge believer that reaching out to others and listening to their stories and experiences can be so helpful!

• Chiswick
    Chiswick Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Brother just had his 7 days ago - doing well - of course your WBC’s neutrophils and platelets crash after that - he’s had wbc stimulating shots the last three days and magnesium potassium and platelets today - tentative discharge is July 5. Hopefully we will see a rise in numbers over next few days / he texts me his progress lab chart everyday so improvement should ne on the horizon- sending my best to your husband for a successful SCT and uneventful recovery

• MJKkpk
    MJKkpk Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

My Husband went through Stem cell transplant in 2017. I wrote a blog about the whole thing so that my friends and our children would know what was happening . I would share it with you but they wouldn't let me attach it because this is the first time I came on to this site. Just know that you will get through it together. Follow the instructions they give you, and there will be many. One day at a time.

• Rosiedoch
    Options

We are at 6months! It’s been a trying time, but like everyone says one day at a time. Vaccines start today, that’ll take the worry out of it. Worse thing is pain meds and how bad they are. We meet with the doctor today to see other options. They make him so lethargic and he losses his common sense. Other than that and his appetite he’s been doing good. Today is another pet scan as the one two months ago shows some cancer growth on his sternum. Doc is hoping it’s not. Platelets went down as well. Wish us luck!

• scottjtfrank
    scottjtfrank Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2023 #11
    Options

2 years ago I had stem cell replacement. My blood is holding up, but my energy is off and I'm struggling with muscle spasms and nerve pain.

any insights?

[Removed by CSN Support Team]

• nubie03
    nubie03 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I am about 90 days out from my stem cell transplant. I am a 52 male. The experience was not pleasant but overall was not too bad. they had collected my stem cells. After a week of rest we did an out patient service. I would go in the morning receive treatment and then leave. About a week after receiving the chemo things got more difficult because of the nausea and low energy. There are medications to help with all that. I was admitted after about a week due to high fever. Got fluids and felt better. After about 35 days I didn’t have daily visits. The fatigue and nausea hung around for a while but I am doing much better now

• Rosiedoch
    Options

Hello to all!

My husband is at 8 months. Doing ok, but still having pain in his lower back. We are waiting on approval for a PET scan to get a better look at things. He had a CT which showed possible disc issues, but also possible cancer. More I say?! His oncologist wants a PET scan to get a better look as the blood work is not looking too bad. The CT was order by his regular doctor. How does anyone get past this constant worry of here we go again??

Thanks for any insight to this terrible disease 😔