3+4 Time for my 6 month...anxiety

Options
mbell44
mbell44 Member Posts: 1 *
edited February 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hey everyone. New here. But I am getting my 6 month PSA checked Tuesday and my anxiety is a little high.

I had a robotic prostatectomy 1.5 years ago at 46. Final pathology was 3+4 fully contained and 15% pattern 4. All tests have been <.04 undetectable.

I realize with those stats I'm in a very good position. But no matter how much I tell myself that this time always drums up that initial anxiety from 2 years ago when initially diagnosed.

I guess I'm just reaching out for reassurance in the community. Because there isn't anything to "do" at this point. I am hoping these tests become much less stressful as time goes on.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• On_A_Journey
    On_A_Journey Member Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Hi there.

Yes, you are in a very good position. Even if your results move around a little bit every now and then, it means nothing. You could even find that if your reading is less than 0.04 again, you might only have to have follow-ups every 12 months (this is what happened to me). If, way down the track, your readings begin to increase a little bit, then your follow-ups might revert to 6 months again.

A build up of anxiety before follow-ups is normal, trust me!

• eonore
    eonore Member Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Hi,

I had RP in October of 2017. In August, 2018 my PSA started to rise. After some difficulties, I had salvage radiation in the spring of 2019. I will never forget the sinking feeling after that first PSA rise. I am now three and a half years since radiation and fortunately undetectable. Every six months the anxiety rises again. I don’t know if there is anything you can do about it.

Eric

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Hi,

Good luck with your next test, hopefully it will be flatline compared to other readings. I had my Prostate surgically removed back in 2014, so far I have been undetectable. I feel to measure reoccurring cancer you need to look at a series of test readings to see if they are rising, falling, or flatline. From what other survivors have said a few .01s either way could just be “noise”. So don’t freak too much(like we all do) over every test. Good luck & chill……………….

Dave 3+4

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Similar case here. RP 11 months ago, 3+4. So far undetectable. Feel like I'll always be looking over my shoulder. I try not to focus on it but, can't always control the mind. Seems the busier I am, the further back it is in my thoughts.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

We seem to agree that PSA anxiety is the new normal for almost all who had prostate cancer (therapy). 😛

• On_A_Journey
    Options

As if to prove how true that is, even for someone like me who has had skin in the game for 10 years now, the week before my next test or follow-up does bring a certain level of mental discomfort with it. Nowadays the anxiety for me is based around increasing PSA velocity and what my oncologist intends to do about it. Although I'm not actually scared of future treatment, whatever it might consist of, it is the "when" that I have trouble dealing with.

The other observation I make is every time I rock up for a 3-monthly follow-up appointment, it seems like I was only there a couple of weeks before. I find that a bit depressing considering that in a perfect world no-one should ever need and oncologist to begin with, yet here I am, feeling like I'm living there.

Sorry for the ramble.

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 388 Member
    Options

The anxiety that you have is common in all of us PCa folks during our journeys, especially when the PSA is rising. I can feel my own anxiety rise every 3 months before my scheduled blood draw and PSA test (well over 40 draws and counting). Recognizing that anxiety when it starts to grow, and why it is growing, is helpful to me in managing it. The anxiety does not go away, but understanding it has been helpful to me, and certainly to others around me, as the effects of that anxiety is felt by others as well.

• On_A_Journey
    Options

I know that's true Josephg, and thanks, it's a good tactic that you employ. I know I'm not alone too. I was obviously feeling a bit pensive yesterday, but I'm better today.