Newly Diagnosed

Options
CatHelper212
CatHelper212 Member Posts: 1 *
edited January 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello! I was just diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer/invasive ductal carcinoma (grade 1/ stage 3b) which has speard to my lymph nodes. To say that I am terrified would be a massive understatement.

This past Tuesday, we went through my preliminary treatment plan and it's daunting. While I still need to have an MRI, CT and PET scan, but as for right now the plan is chemo, mastectomy (I am choosing a radical double mastectomy) and, then, radiation therapy and hormones treatment.

Honestly, I don't know if I am going to make it through this. Especially, because I have to live with this cancerous breast and lymph nodes for at least 5 months until the mastectomy can even be done! How can I live with this inflammed, painful, dimpled breast for 5 bloody months. Every time I see it, I panic and can't breathe. I raised this issue with my breast surgeon and she didn't even respond. I asked her if I could have the mastectomy first and she said that chemo comes first. That's all. Not an explanation as to why chemo is thevfirst step or any acknowledgement of my concerns.

I'm so tired already. Maybe I should just give up and let this treatment team do as they will, no questions asked.

I want to go into treatment with some sense of hope and a will to to live. I really do. But, this is a difficult cancer to beat, so maybe I should just live my life until I die.

Comments

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I did not have inflammatory breast cancer/invasive ductal carcinoma and cannot speak to treatment for that . BUT....any diagnosis is terrifying. You need and deserve answers to what the plan is for your body. If you cannot get them from your breast surgeon ask to speak to a nurse navigator or counselor.

There should be a team working on your treatment plan. Perhaps they are waiting until the testing is finished before they sit down and walk you through everything. This is your future at stake and your emotional health is important. Keep asking until there is someone who listens. Did they give you any written material to go over? If so get out your highlighter and go at it. The more you know the better prepare you will be for the next few months ahead. You also can ask for a second opinion if you are not comfortable with what is planned.

More than anything else take care of yourself. Find a way to relax, pamper yourself and focus on things you enjoy. Being diagnosed with any type of cancer stinks and I am sorry that you are going through this.

Take care and keep us posted.