What if your Doctor said No to Tylenol?

Options
Lodowick
Lodowick Member Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2023 in Kidney Cancer #1

It's Thursday. The radical nephrectomy of my left kidney was done on Monday. As everyone here can understand, pain is an issue. I got out of the hospital yesterday. The standard advice seems to be, take a more serious but limited number of pain meds (Tramadol, Oxycontin, etc.) every six hours and then fill in the blanks with Tylenol. But I have liver issues and my internist said no tylenol. Has your doctor (or anyone else) given you suggestions for fill-in pain relief OTHER THAN tylenol?

Comments

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi glad you are here and that the surgery is done. I haven't heard of what OTC pain reliever to use if you aren't supposed to have Tylenol for liver and you aren't supposed to have ibuprofen because of kidney issues. I'm nit much help but I'm sure there is someone who has a similar situation who will respond. Keep us updated, here's to a smooth recovery for you.

• Lodowick
    Lodowick Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Well, very much to my surprise, today is Thursday, 1/19/23, and pain is no longer an issue at all. Not even a little. I've read so many posts about continuing unmanaged pain that my situation seems weird. Do most post-nephrectomy people have pain for an extended period? Or not? Are there statistics on this kind of thing? I don't have the slightest bit of energy to do anything, but at least I'm not hurting. Thanks for all replies!

• andydebparker
    andydebparker Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

My husband takes Tramadol and grits his teeth if that's not enough.