They’ve stopped making Lupron?

Options
Larry449
Larry449 Member Posts: 51 Member
edited January 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

I’ve been on 3 month Lupron for 5 years. I’ve just run across an article from December of last year that they’re no longer making Lupron. Anyone know anything about this. (I’m in the U.S.)

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options

Hi,

Lupron`s FDA approval run off in June 2022, but this drug is available in its generic form (leuprolide) under other brand names. You may look for Eligard, Viadur or Fensolvi.

These are all equal to Lupron regarding effectiveness and side effects. The difference is on available doses sold in the U.S. I have used Eligard 6-month shot and it worked perfectly.

Best

VG

• On_A_Journey
    On_A_Journey Member Posts: 111 Member
    Options

It has been suggested that if I get to the stage that hormone therapy is required to deal with my biochemical recurrence, the drug I will be administered with is Goserelin, marketed as Zoladex. Like Lupron it is a GnRH Agonist given via a subcutaneous implant every 3 months. Surely it is as effective as Lupron in all respects?

• Larry449
    Options

I had my last shot at the end of November, next appointment at the end of February. I suspect I’ll get the eligard. I had eligard a couple times about 2(?) years ago during a Lupron shortage.

The patient assistance plan for my Zytiga has ended so unless I can get it thru Cuban’s Cost Plus , I’ll be losing that. When I read that they were no longer making Lupron I thought…. well that’s the way things go…

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

The following indicates that only the 5 mg formulation has been discontinued (globally).

Discontinuation report LUPRON (drugshortagescanada.ca)

• Larry449
    Options

Thanx, OS,

I get the 22.5 so I guess I’ll be ok… guess I’ll know for sure when I get to my February appointment.