Blood work?

Kiki11
Kiki11 Member Posts: 4 *
edited February 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi - I’ve been reading that many of you get routine blood work. My oncologist (and the one before him) said there was nothing to test for and that blood work is unreliable. For those of you who get blood work, what are you being tested for? Should I be pushing for my tests? I am 43 and one year out from my double mastectomy- stage one IDC, no node involvement, ER/PR +, HER2-, oncotype 11. I tried all 3 AI’s but the side effects were too debilitating (and were attacking my liver) so I’m kind of just floating out here on a prayer that nothing will come back. Well - I’m not really floating. I’m terrified. I lost my 37 year old sister to kidney cancer in 2020. (I’ve had all of the genetic testing available and have no mutations.)

Comments

• mimi5000
    mimi5000 Member Posts: 18 Member

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister to cancer. It must make this all so much scarier for you. I was also diagnosed with the same IDC but I had node involvement too. I haven't had any more blood tests to date or suggestions from the Oncologist for one. The Tumor Marker Tests article on breastcancer.org. seemed pretty good if you want to check that out. Even with AI's there is no real guarantee this cancer won't recur for me. You didn't have a (+) node which I think is a really a good sign. Please continue to talk with your treatment team about your concerns. Best wishes and hugs

• Faith Helen
    Faith Helen Member Posts: 21 Member

Also sorry to hear about losing your sister! How hard. I had IDC with no lymph node involvement in 2016, stage 1-b. Oncotype of 12 I think. Radiation, followed by tamoxifen that almost promptly did what they said was a 'rare' side effect (ie. causing endometrial thickening with a related risk of uterine cancer). After break through bleeding Tamoxifen was stopped. Since I hadn't gone through menopause yet I couldn't start on Anastrozole, so at 55 I figured I'm ready for menopause and I want to take that damn drug - elected to have my ovaries removed while my uterus was 'checked'. Started Anastrozole with immediate warnings about osteoporosis. Finally agreed to try a strong bone buiding drug (Zometa) immediately developed a rare eye side effect needing steroid drops and said no more of those drugs. Got osteoporosis anyway. Through all of this though, there have always been blood tests. In central Vermont, at Glens Falls Hospital in NY and at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. From what I've read, they are checking on your overall health this way. No, not so much a "cancer test". But you know, it's easy, noninvasive...and why wouldn't they? I would ask around and maybe do some research about standard oncology practice. Best of wishes to you!!!