New Year

Options
CivilMatt
CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
edited January 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Happy New Year H&N Members,

Not to be too confusing to the (current and active) H&N members but, back in 2013 I came across the following post by a 2010 H&N member known as nkimber. I found it to be very heartfelt and I have been re-posting it back to the top of the H&N forum (most) every January since. Many H&N members were very fond of nkimber and enjoyed re-reading her post. Thank You, CM

January1, 2011 – 3:17 pm

Intentions For 2011

After a very inspiring yoga class this afternoon, I began to think about my intentions for 2011... in some ways a little more strict than resolutions, but in some ways a little more relaxed! Instead of vowing to do something all year, and then giving up when you break a rule, I think of intentions more as something you can reflect on every day, and even make strides to improve upon them. If you don't quite realize one of your intentions on any given day, just think about how to make it true the next!

So, I wanted to share mine... open for comment or suggestions of course... maybe by throwing these out there I will do a better job of holding myself accountable to them:)

1. I intend not to be discouraged. Undoubtedly this year will bring many challenges, but I am a tough girl..... I will overcome them! I cannot let myself be discouraged, but rather take everything that comes at me and use it as a catalyst for improvement. Improvement of my health, my medical team, my daily diet and activities, my holistic healing team, and my strength.

2. I intend to show those whom I love how much they mean to me every chance I get. This experience has brought into light those of my family and friends who can be counted on, and who cannot. It is very strange blessing in disguise! I need to show those who I care about, and who care about me, how much I love them. Being there for them through these difficult times is just as important as them being there for me.

3. I intend to share my blessings with others. It may be small on some days, and large on others, but I want to do a better job of taking the blessings I have been given, and using them to help others. What does this mean? I don't know exactly, but I do know where to start. Continuing to be a positive face every time I visit the hospital, trying to put smiles on the faces of others who are going through difficult times, and finding a way to help others who are not as fortunate are a start. Hopefully this intention will blossom into something amazing over the course of 2011.

4. I intend to have increasing faith. I do have faith, but as many of you know, it is hard not to question what is happening. I intend to start each day off with a conversation with God. Hopefully this conversation brings me a better understanding of not only what is happening, but of what I need to do to realize all of my other intentions! I will keep praying that the right path comes to me :)

I have a feeling that these will evolve as the year goes on, but I will do my best to reflect upon them every day and make them come true!

I wish all of you the very best 2011... feel free to share your intentions too!!!

Lots of hugs,

Nicole

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Thanks Matt for this posting every year. She is certainly inspiring on a high level and on the most basic level. And above all it reminds us all to never give up hope and reminds of of God's eternal hope promised for everyone who will accept his gift.

Wishing You the Best

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• DooDad
    DooDad Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Matt, I'm so thankful you posted the 2011 post from Nicole. It is a very heartwarming and a wonderful reminder of all the blessings I enjoy - God, my family and friends, and access to good medical care.

Like everyone else, there are really good days and days of fear, confusion and uncertainty. But at the end of the day, it is a blessing to come across reminders of God's blessings and love.

Thank you - Peggy

• LuvnTN
    LuvnTN Member Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Thanks for the post... I am going to "steal" all four of those, and apply them to my life starting right now!